E-Fan write up by studlyblueiz

Old 01-06-2008, 05:03 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: E-Fan write up

ORIGINAL: pro4x4

When you added the autometer gauge did you have to drain any coolant to install the sensor in that spot?
No not really. When I first put it in it was ok. But when I squeezed the hose later to check for leaks only a little came out when I removed it.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:41 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran

Just an update: the fan's been doin great thus far. No real issues. The real test won't happen until August and the temps reach 100's. It's been pretty cool and the fan's been happy keepin the temp 180-195 perfect. I bought a 180 thermostat just haven't taken the time to put it in. One thing I've been thinking about changing is the mounting straps. I only used 4 and this unit is pretty heavy. I may either fab some brackets or put a few more straps. I set the first Spal setting low so it stays on all the time but even then I haven't noticed in dimming in lights when it cuts on.

Performance wise I love it! I have the factory LSD and with just the CAI and exhaust it was pretty hard to get it to spin tires from dead stop to foot stomping right turn to break one tire. I can now break traction from a standstill going straight. Just the other day I slammed the pedal to leave my apartment to a busy street and spun for a few seconds in place, eased off a little to begin forward motion and kept burnin rubber till the tires started to line up with the left turn I was attempting to make. My wife was like was that necessary and I just replied "I wanted to make it across before they got any closer." Needless to say, the engine spools up a lot faster and seems happy with its most recent heart surgery. MPG is a toss between the new foot pedal excitement and the rising $$$ of gas. With normal driving I'd say I gained 1-2mpg but conservatively I can push 18mpg avg on the ceiling pod before next fill up.

Definately a must have!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 PM
BrandonMiller
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why everyone uses that fan..

I bought a SPAL for my rock crawler and it is the only fan it runs. Draws practically nothing and was about an inch thick. No complaints, great fan!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Frenchy
Banned

ORIGINAL: BrandonMiller

I don't understand why everyone uses that fan..

I bought a SPAL for my rock crawler and it is the only fan it runs. Draws practically nothing and was about an inch thick. No complaints, great fan!

Answers simple....

Not everyone is made of money...

Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM
BrandonMiller
Professional

I tried the taurus fan first and it was a PIA, maybe just my luck. By the time you go get the right relay etc etc the taurus fan isn't that cheap. I don't think I paid much more for a brand new fan than you'd pay for a used ford fan..

Old 02-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Frenchy
Banned

It cost me 29 dollars, total, including the relay (bought from Jimbo here) and then wires I had laying around the house...

Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 PM
trx450
Professional

good info

Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Racinartist
All Star

Not to ***** myself out or anything [&:], but I have a brand new Taurus e-fan for sale that I bought for my truck. Never got to install it before the truck got wrecked. It's new in the box and waiting for a new owner. Look me up in private message if you're interested.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:52 PM
trucky
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow nice presentation man...a+

Old 06-30-2008, 08:51 AM
studlyblueiz
Veteran

Hey thanks, its been awhile since I checked the post. I get a little practice writing instructions since that's what I do for CAT at the moment- write instructionsto build Backhoe Loaders.

I guess I'll add one thing that's been bugging me awhile. The only reason I stuck the controller in the cab was to physically see that it was on, but since it acts like a relay and will always show its on even if it blew a fuse, it defeats the purpose of reading the lights on the unit. If I were to start over, I would just wire in an LED to the Secondary Fan option (gray wire I think) and drag that to the cab instead. Mounting it in the cab now, as an after thought was more work than needed. So I guess my suggestion if anyone follows the same route is to just find a good mounting space under the hood and pull the gray wire in the cab.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E-Fan write up by studlyblueiz