Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Woodgrain to Silver Bezel - DIY

Originally Posted by lmrjason
So in the spirit of getting a bunch of stuff done today I decided to go ahead and order a silver bezel from moparpartsamerica. It was 131.00 plus shipping.
I ordered it and a couple hours later i got an email back from them. they said chrysler changed the bezels somehow and now the price is 220 dollars. Screw that. So i went to autozone and bought some spray paint and some sand paper.

cooking in the oven

I dont know how this is going to hold up so in the long run but it looks really good right now. This is what i did.
From start to finish it took me about 2 1/2 hours.
I used duplicolor metalcast ground coat for the color and duplicolor acrylic enamel over the paint. I removed the bezel from truck and brought inside. Removed the vents, ac controls, airbag and 4x4 switch. I taped off everything else that was black. I used 600 grit sandpaper all over the woodgrain. I cleaned it up really good. I put on first coat and then put in oven on lowest setting for about 5 min. Took out and repeat. I used 4-5 coats. Repeat same process with enamel. I did 4-5 coats of enamel but it would probably be a little more glossy with a few more coats. Very light wet sand with 1000 grit and clean. Very light wet sand with 2000 grit and clean. Put everything back together and this is what you have...
Great work! Thanks to lmrjason!

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 02-24-2010 at 08:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Woodgrain to Silver Bezel - DIY