3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

quick question about fuel mileage 2005 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:45 AM
gjmoran
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the quick response. i did some research and found some things that i was thinking of doing that could give increased mileage and was wondering what your opinions of these small somewhat cheap mods i was thinking of doing. maybe some of you have done them on your own trucks so you could speak from personal experience.

throttle body spacer
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/fe...461460446.html

aftermarket cai (k&n)

exhaust (flowmaster, etc)

electric fan

superchips

Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 PM
gjmoran
Captain

has anyone at least performed the throttle body spacer upgrade? thats the one that interests me the most

Old 10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
rengnath
Champion

PLEASE, DO NOT DO A THROTTLE BODY SPACER! You are just donating money to the company. They have absolutly no effect on a speed/density engine and will just create a whistle. Any product claiming to create a vortex for better air flow; if you take a look at the stock manifold, it doesnt matter how the air goes in. It will never make it to the combustion chamber in that "votex" movement.

Superchips is a good option. Helps wake up the transmission which helps with gas mileage. The stock shifting bogs the engine down and shifts to overdrive too fast. By dragging out the shifts slightly, you can gain an mpg or two.

Electric fans have awesome reviews from everyone who does them. Its on my list of to dos for the spring. The mod is good for 10RWHP.

CAIs are debatable. While they make the engine roar and sound mean, you may be better off just doing a K&N drop in with an Airaid Modular Intake tube. The stock system already draws cold air from the fender, all you need to do is take away some restriction.

Exhausts on our trucks will take away restriction as you have atleast one (sometimes 2) resonators, and a muffler taller than the average person in some countries. This mod however decreased my mileage, as I love the sound of my system above 3k rpm.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:47 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

i want that electric can too....

Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

what size tires are ya running? I 265/75/16 with the 3.7... talk about alot of rolling resistence.. not sure what my milage is since i don't have a overhead computer..

Old 10-12-2010, 11:41 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

you can calculate your mileage without the overhead computer.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
you can calculate your mileage without the overhead computer.
Yea, but I must be an idiot or something , because I have tried twice since I have owned it and have have come up with like 20 or 21 mpg, and I am all city driving no highway at all. Ok, here is what I come with, I drive 150 miles a week and use $20 in gas @ $2.80 a gallon. That's 7.14 gallons and my gas gauge starts at a 1/2 always ends up on 1/4 tank at the end of the week. ALWAYS. So, now 150/7.14 = 21.008?!?!?! Is my truck really that good????
(Sorry for the essay and hijack )

Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 PM
gjmoran
Captain

i noticed the gas gauge is a little funky. sometimes it will sit in one spot and not move very much and other time i could seriously watch it going down lol. all the same driving, babying the gas pedal and everything.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:03 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by backwoods18
Yea, but I must be an idiot or something , because I have tried twice since I have owned it and have have come up with like 20 or 21 mpg, and I am all city driving no highway at all. Ok, here is what I come with, I drive 150 miles a week and use $20 in gas @ $2.80 a gallon. That's 7.14 gallons and my gas gauge starts at a 1/2 always ends up on 1/4 tank at the end of the week. ALWAYS. So, now 150/7.14 = 21.008?!?!?! Is my truck really that good????
That will give you a rough estimate. What I have always done is fill it up, set the trip meter to zero, drive it till it needs to be filled up again, then divide the miles since the last fill up (as indicated by the trip meter) by the number of gallons it takes to fill it up again. That would give you the mpg for that last tank of gas. Do this for a few fill ups and you can get an average. That's the method I use.

Quick Reply: quick question about fuel mileage 2005 dakota