3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Looking to buy 06 Dakota, seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 05:31 PM
JVOLLEY1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy 06 Dakota, seeking advice

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I'm writing for some advice on the potential purchase of a 2006 Dakota. The seller is a used car dealership, here is what the seller is advertising:
Mileage: 32,548 miles
Exterior: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 4.7L V8
Interior: Medium Slate Gray Cloth Interi
Transmission: Automatic 5-Speed
Trim/Package: SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB

Sellers listed vehicle options:
4WD/AWD, ABS Brakes, Air Conditioning, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Radio, Cargo Area Tie downs, CD Player, Chrome Wheels, Cruise Control, Deep Tinted Glass, Driver Airbag, Fog Lights, Full Size Spare Tire, Interval Wipers, Keyless Entry, Passenger Airbag, Pickup Truck Cargo Box Light, Power Adjustable Exterior Mirror, Power Door Locks, Power Sunroof, Power Windows, Second Row Folding Seat, Tachometer, Tilt Steering, Tilt Steering Column

Sellers vehicle notes:
SUNROOF!. 4.7L V8 MPI and 4WD. FREE LIFETIME OIL CHANGES! Best Pre-Owned Warranty Coverage! **6 Month/6,000 Mile COMPREHENSIVE Warranty** Your quest for a gently used truck is over. This fantastic-looking 2006 Dodge Dakota has only had one previous owner, with a great track record and a long life ahead of it. You, out enjoying this outstanding Dodge Dakota, would be so much better than it sitting here proving nothing on our lot. It's ready, each time and every time. Come let it show you! New Car Test Drive said, ...anyone in the market for a medium-sized truck that goes around acting like a full-size truck, but for a lot less money, should have a look at the Dodge Dakota... J.D. Power and Associates gave the 2006 Dakota 4 out of 5 Power Circles for Overall Initial Quality Design. We Have Our Own State of the Art Repair Facility with 8 Service Bays Open Monday Thru Saturday handling all mechanical work, while providing a loan car! 6 month/ 6,000 Mile Warranty Includes : Engine Group, Transmission, Transaxle and Transfercase, Drive Axle Group, Power Steering Group, Electrical Group, Brake Group, Front/Rear Suspension Group, Cooling Group and Seals and Gaskets. **Remember WE ARE The Closest Thing to a New Car Dealership.
If I schedule a test drive is there anything I should pay close attention to? What is the towing capacity? So far this appears to be a good deal with the exception of the asking price. The research I've done so far shows this is priced above Market Average - NADA - $15,712, KBB - 18,088, True Car - $16,620, Car Gurus - $16,405, Edmunds $14,208; which is the industry standard or most accurate? I believe my bank uses True Car. Sorry this is long, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That is low mileage for an 06. Are you looking for general info about the Dakota or just advice on the price? You can generally get a good deal on a Dakota since they're not very popular.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:20 AM
JVOLLEY1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for both.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:35 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It's going to be next to impossible to find an '06 in that kind of shape with such low mileage which is why the dealer is asking a premium for it. This was the first year of sharply declining sales with only about 75,000 sold. By comparison, there were over 400,000 Rams sold for that year.

Even at that low mileage, it's a $16k truck at most, IMO.

Max. towing, properly equipped is about 7000 lbs.

At the risk of ticking off Dak owners here, if it were me, I'd look for a Ram unless you just have your heart set on a Dakota. Shear numbers is going to dictate better pricing, way more parts and upgrade possibilities and if towing is a concern, higher towing capacity. Plus, an '06 or newer Ram Hemi has MDS and will get comparable fuel economy if not better than a 4.7 while producing 100+ more HP. Low mileage Rams are out there. Last year I sold my '04 1500 with over $8000 in mods for $16,300 with under 60k miles on it...

Old 08-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's probably got original shocks, you'll want to upgrade those. Check for the bounce during the test drive. Check for vibrations and warped brakes also. I don't know about values, I couldn't see myself paying more than 12. but thats just me. It's still (almost) a 10 year old vehicle. + what HammerZ71 says

Quick Reply: Looking to buy 06 Dakota, seeking advice