3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Joined the Gutter Guard club today

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:39 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joined the Gutter Guard club today

Well, I decided that I wanted to change the look of my grille, and seeing the gutter guard I figured I would give it a try. I went with the no zip ties method from the write up by SlvrKota22. It worked out great. I even found black gutter guard at Lowes. When it was all done I also plati dipped the emblem in the center of the grille and the horizontal cross bars. Later I may do the whole grille in plasti dip, but I kinda like it the way it is now.
So, thanks for the ideas and tips and here are some pics.

Before: Factory grille

No zip ties, clean inserts.

Ready for some plasti dip

Dipped the emblem and cross bars.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks good Dodgeman, you're on a roll. Might be the pic, but looks like time to clean those headlight lenses next.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:31 AM
dodgeman1977
Professional

Originally Posted by Jaded
Looks good Dodgeman, you're on a roll. Might be the pic, but looks like time to clean those headlight lenses next.
Thanks, I have been motivated here lately trying to fix this truck up vs. buying a new truck. Its helping take my mind off of things.
Yea, its way overdue for a headlight cleaning or replace them completely, I haven't decided yet.
I have seen some nice aftermarket headlights, but not sure if I want to spend that kind of money.
Do you know of any good restore kits to use, or are they all about the same?

Last edited by dodgeman1977; 01-30-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:37 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've only used a 3m kit, which did good but very time consuming. I had to do them twice. Last month I got some scratches removed from the truck at a local paint & body shop. He told me they remove the headlights, clean them, and clear coat the headlights for $50. If I ever have to do it again, this is the route I'm going.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:34 AM
dodgeman1977
Professional

I saw some positive feedback about the 3m kit on several different websites, so I will give that a shot. We are supposed to have 70 degree weather this week, so its time for a good detail job and a coat of wax. I also have 1 and a half cans of plasti dip left, who knows what will happen.