3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

patching rusted through bed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 03:57 AM
moron88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default patching rusted through bed

i have a couple spots in my bed on top of the wheel wells.

my question is, should i try to cut the rust out and weld the patch INTO the bed, or simply weld the patch ON TOP (with or without removing rust)? i bought some 1/8" thick steel tread plate planing on welding on top but am having second thoughts about that. if i dont use the tread plate there, i'm sure i'll find another use for it

either way, i'm gonna spray something underneath (either undercoating or bed liner) to prevent further/future rust.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:43 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would want to cut as much out as needed for the patch to sit on good metal. You wouldn´t want to lay the patch over thin, partially rusted material. That could cause future issues. You don´t have to go crazy with the cutting out, just get the thin parts out and take a grinder to the surface rust on the thicker portion. Doing that along with you going to do an undercoating should last a good while. If you cut out most of it you could probably come from underneath and tack on some support material, cut the patch to fit and tack to supports, then a nice bead along the whole thing from inside the bed, grind down, and do the bed with herculiner or equivalent spray on/roll on bed liner and it would look good.
Good luck with the repairs.