3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

brake caliper ????'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:36 AM
mstew77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake caliper ????'s

I set out to replace my front pads today, the drivers side was done in about 4 minutes!!!! When I got to the passanger side I ran into a small problem. When I removed the pads I noticed that there was a very small crack in the caliper. I was a little apprehensve about contuning but I figured I would put it all back together and take it in to the delership and see if it was covered by warranty. I finish the job and back out of the garage and the brake pedal goes to the floor, I slam on the e brake and jump out of the truck and sure enough I have brake fluid running down the driveway. I call the parts department and they can get me the caliper tommorow.

Now for my question, how do I change the caliper? I have a 2002 Ram, 5.9, extended cab with ABS. Has anyone changed these and how much of a pain in the *** will it be? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:25 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: brake caliper ????'s

Very simple, you have already had it off. All thast is left is to disconnect the brake hose. Reassemble in reverse order. when it is al done have a helper jump in and SLOWLY pump the brakes, with a drip pan underneath the caliper have them hold the pedal down while you slowly open the bleeder screw. Repaet thi sprocess until clear fluid (no bubbles or air pockets) are coming out. All done, make sure to keep the master cylinder full while doing this.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:52 AM
mstew77
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: brake caliper ????'s

I don't have to do anything special with the ABS?

Quick Reply: brake caliper ????'s