3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

T-One Connector Problem -long

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:13 PM
NCDaveD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-One Connector Problem -long

Leave it to me to screw up something as easy as a plug-in-installation item. My '06 Dakota did not come with the towing package, so I added a T-one connector (item #118323) from etrailer.com to take care of the 4-way plug situation. Installation was straightforward, simple plug and play..... Till I hooked up the trailer and tested the lights. Now the trailer is one of those Harbor Freight specials that I assembled and wiring was also straightforward and all chassis grounds were confirmed as good.

First test, turn signals, each side...work fine. Second test, turn on head light..OK, no problem. Now try headlights and turn signals...WHOA! All sorts of weirdness happened with the trailer and truck lights. So I contacted etrailer.com and they suggested the usual, check connections, remove side lights from circuit, etc. Did this and situation improved, but is still screwy. Again, w/o headlights or parking lights on, everything works as it should. Turn on the headlights, and cut on the turn lights and this is what happens: Turn on left turn signal, on left side, both truck and trailer light don't flash, just light up solid. Turn on right turn signal and one right side,truck and trailer right lights operate in a spastic nonuniform blinking fashion, while the left trailer light flashes from low on to medium on, back to low on, etc. Left truck turn light does not function.

I had to pull out an old analog meter to check the plug and this is what I found when I took the trailer out of the circuit. Measuring at the 4 way plug from the T-one connector...white shows no voltage to any circuit or continuity to chassis ground under any condition. If I put one probe to an actual chassis ground (CG) and the other probe to each other contact in the 4 way plug I get what I expect: Lights on..Brown to CG 12V constant, Right turn signal, Green to CG 12V pulse, Left turn signal, Yellow to CG 12V pulse.

Shouldn't I be able to show continuity from the contact for the white wire to a chassis ground?

Still waiting for a call from etrailers second line of tech support...first line tried to help, but this got beyond them...

Any help would be appreciated.

NCDaveD.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
NCDaveD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-One Connector Problem -long

Guess I should have waited 1/2 hour more. Tech couldn't explain my results, so suggested I cut the white wire to the 4 way plug and just hardwire the ground in. I cut the wire, stripped it back and what do you konw....no continuity from the white wire to the connector.... I moved the wire a bit and it fell out of the back of the connector. So I am on the phone to get a replacement T-one...

I'm good for getting those one-in-a-million messups....

NCDaveD

Old 07-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: T-One Connector Problem -long

Glad you figured it out, sucks that the T one is broken though...

Quick Reply: T-One Connector Problem -long