3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Truck cap, hitch, & harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck cap, hitch, & harness

Well, I finally ordered a cap for the truck. The Black Max from Extangwhich I have had for the last 2 years no longer meets my needs (so if anyone wants a gently used roll-up, let me know so we can work a deal).

I*was* going to get a Leer 100XQ, but the local dealeris a moron and he pissed me off [:@]. I will sending a letter to Leer complaining aboutthis twit...

Anyway,I went over the A.R.E dealer and got the Z Series with the Yakima rack, got a coupon for 'free' upgrade for a tilt downpicture window andfold-away clothes rod. Only about 200 more than what the Leer would have been...now I just haveto wait three weeks for delivery...

I was going to buy the Valley hitch for the truck, but the wife surprised me and boughtthe OEM Hitch and Harness...
Anyone install the OEM harness?? I looked at the 'instructions' (just pictures no real instructions) and I gotta run the damn thing all the way the to the brain box in the front. This is *certainly* not plug and play!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 PM
mb18
Record Breaker
Default RE: Truck cap, hitch, & harness

That'll be a real nice cap...take some pics when you get it installed...that's going to look awesome!

Sorry, can't offer any help with the wiring harness...

Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

ORIGINAL: mb18

That'll be a real nice cap...take some pics when you get it installed...that's going to look awesome!
Sorry, can't offer any help with the wiring harness...
Yep, it's going to be along three weeks

I vaguely remember someone having just recently install the OEM Harness, but I dont' remember if it was here or elsewhere. Off to searh the forums I reckon....

Old 08-08-2007, 09:48 AM
texasbluedak

Congrats on the new purchase!! I agree with mb, that will look sweet. I was just going to post today to mb and ask him if he likes having the full cap on his truck. I'm think about doing that myself. Please post some pics when you get it installed. Are they still using the clamps to hold it down so you do a quick removal if you need to haul something larger than the cap? That would be a big issue for me if they don't.Why is it when you finally find something you want for your truck, you end up having to wait weeks before getting it? Alot like Christmas I guess!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 11:36 AM
mb18
Record Breaker

I love my cap....combined with a BedRug, it's a real great way to haul fragile stuff. I usually haul theatrical lighting and sound gear, so it's real good at keeping it safe and protected from the elements. Plus, I usually keep my tools in there and it's nice for keeping them secure. It came installed with 4 clamps, and I added 3 that my Grandpa found in his barn, just for extra safety. If you go to remove it, you'll have to also disconnect the electric--for the center high mount taillight, and, if equipped, the internal light. I don't remove mine...I usually use a trailer if I need to haul something bigger.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Dak_in_Black
Veteran

Did you get a tailgate lock?

I am debating between a manual or electric lock...I think Mikey11K was looking into an electric lock...

Old 08-08-2007, 12:32 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

I don't have a tailgate lock, no. The bottom of the cap overlaps the tailgate by a good bit, and I live in a pretty safe area...the whole deal is unlocked right now, and has been for a few days, and nobody's lifted the tools I have in there, and a fan that's been in there since I got back from camp.

Quick Reply: Truck cap, hitch, & harness