3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

AC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
dakotarev
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Issues

I'm beginning to think that I got a Friday or Monday truck.

In addition to the intermittent shaking issue in my 2005 QC that I wrote about in another post, I've been dealing with an air conditioning issue that I thought was fixed, but wasn't.

Problems began in April when I noticed that after running AC for a while the airflow through the vents in the dash would get less and less and less until no more airflow. If I turn on the fan full blast, I get a lot of "air noise" from the vicinity of the passenger footwell, but no air through the vents in the dash. When I turn the AC off, then I hear a crackling noise (sounds like something's thawing) from the passenger footwell.

Took to dealer twice for problem, first time "couldn't duplicate the problem" and the second time they replaced the guts of the airflow system in the dash. Problem seemed to be solved until today when, after driving for a while, I noticed that there wasn't much airflow through the vents. You guessed it - same problem as before.

I've got an appointment at another dealer on Thursday, as it's pretty obvious that the service department folks at the dealer I've been going to couldn't find thier way out of a paper bag.

Anyone out there in Dakotaland know what might be the problem?

Old 08-13-2007, 03:44 PM
texasbluedak
Default RE: AC Issues

Can't help you on that. Haven't experienced anything like that in my truck. Hang on until tonight when there are more peoplelogged in. There are a few "tech certified" moderators on this board and maybe they can help you out. I do recall someone mentioning that the main connection from the blower motor to the air ventsis up under the dash on passengers side. Maybe it isn't connected good or has come back loose?? You did a good thing in going to another dealer though. There have been a few problems here with "dealer dumbness". Good luck and keep us posted on whats happening.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:12 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have just the oppisite. it gets so cold in the truck that the windows start to freeze up and i have to turn it off for awhile

Old 08-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: superdak05

i have just the oppisite. it gets so cold in the truck that the windows start to freeze up and i have to turn it off for awhile
Helps if you don't use defrost with the AC, that'll freeze the windshield up right quick

Old 08-13-2007, 09:46 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i never do. it just get very cold real fast. both my and the old ladies nipples scream. can never run it on high. max blower i can run it on is dot number two. maybe because it is a cc. instead of a qc.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

Mine's a cc and it doesn't get that cold, maybe it's your mods.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:16 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Mine's a stock CC and it gets cold, very cold....no complaints here...it's just the way I like it! I never run it on high, either...I usually need to run it on the 2nd notch or it's just too crazy cold.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Frenchy
Banned

Well, if it doesn't get cold enough, what I would do, is run the A/C for about five minutes, open ur hood, and feel one of those aluminum lines that cross over top the engine, and one of them should be cold.....

Mark this piping, and when you can, run to an appliance store, or maybe a hardware store, and ask for cork tape... then when you get back home, let that pipe that you marked warm up, so its not FREEZING cold, and wrap that entire pipe's metal surface with that cork tape...

It'l get about 5 - 10 degrees cooler in the cab of the truck. :-)

Old 08-14-2007, 08:05 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Remember that the computer (CAN-Buss runs the mix doors. If they are not working correctly in accordance with the function you chose than that would be a problem you described.
On too cold issue I found that every time that happed to me on passed vehicles it meant that the evaporator coil is about to take a dump in the near future. I don't know why but it went that way every time.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:43 PM
dakotarev

Bump for more ideas/suggestions...

Quick Reply: AC Issues