3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Adding a 3rd Seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding a 3rd Seat

When I was ordering my '07 Dak ST, I opted out of the $990 40/20/40 front bench with rear jumpseats, seeing as I couldn't imagine an adult sitting directly behind the front bucket seats comfortably. However, I would like a 3rd seat. I was thinking of adding a used bucket seat from a compact car; something small and low, but still better than the airplane-stewardess style club cab seats. To allow for legroom, I would position it between the front bucket seats, in line with the shifter/console aisle.

I can work out the details of installation, but I definitely want it to be safe. I.E. at least a lap belt, preferably a shoulder belt, and I want to make sure this kind of modification is legal and won't void any warranty. Obviously if I get in an accident and the seat flies out, that would be bad.

Any thoughts / warnings or previous experience with this? I've also considered installing the seat sideways (like old Nissan Frontiers), but that would eliminate the function of one of my rear doors. It could also limit the adjustability of the front seat. However, it would keep the passenger from accidentally kicking the stick shift, or generally having their legs in the way, something that would probably be an issue with the center mounted seat.

Anyway, it's something I'm tossing around. If I can snag an old VW or Tercel or Geo seat for $25 at Pick-N-Pull it could probably be pretty slick.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:24 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Adding a 3rd Seat

I would like to help but I can't even imagine fitting another full size seat...even a small one in a club cab...

Quick Reply: Adding a 3rd Seat