3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Auxilary Trans cooler? Trans over heats

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007 | 01:17 PM
skikir
|
Default Auxilary Trans cooler? Trans over heats

We got lost the other night. The wife had the map. Road went to gravel. "Does the map show this road to be garvel?" "No. But don't worry!" I began to worry. Short cut -> the longest distance between two points.

Anyway, got off on logging roads comming back from Crater Lake Oregonat night and going up slowly on these roads at about 5,000 feet hauling my camper the transmission temp light came on. Great. Lost,it's nightand now over heating. So I got out the laptop hooked up the GPS and found out where we were and headed out of the mountains. GPS and maping software-never leave home with out it.

I got this truck just for this kind of use and an over heating trans is not what I need. It's OK on the road because weclimed to7800 feet with out any problem but going slow it's not getting enoug airflow. Is there a Trans cooler out there for a 3.7L V6? Since it overheated twice should I change the trans fluid?

Old 09-07-2007 | 01:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Auxilary Trans cooler? Trans over heats

just install a simple, universal type like this.. https://dodgeforum.com/m_717634/tm.htm
yes you should change the fluid.

Old 09-07-2007 | 10:16 PM
white26golf
Veteran
Default RE: Auxilary Trans cooler? Trans over heats

I added a trans cooler about a year ago before i deployed. Used some metal brackets I picked up at home depot, and the existing screws on the rediator. I mounted it low enough where air from the lower valance hits it, and looking straight at the radiator, you can't even see it. Shifts a lot firmer now. I posted a thread on it with pics on here somewhere if your interested. I didn't change the oil, just added, although I never overheated either.

Quick Reply: Auxilary Trans cooler? Trans over heats