3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

JET low temp problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:57 PM
05bluedak
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JET low temp problem

I just installed my JET low temp 180 thermostat. instalation went fine i drained coolant replaced it and put new coolant back in. i started my truck let it idle for a while, temperature preceeded to increase and not stop. the temperature ended up getting very close to the Hot on the gauge inside and i immediately turned my truck off. not one engine check light came on but clearly the temperature should not be this high. i just don't know if its a faulty thermostat or what, but right now i can;t use my truck since it just overheats and i'm not sure what the problem is. if anyone has any advice please leave a post

Old 12-20-2007, 02:34 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran
Default RE: JET low temp problem

Did you add the proper amount of coolant? cause honestly alot of people said well yes i did but also when you added the coolant and started it up did you leave the Radiator Cap off? cause when you start the truck there is gonna be airpockets that will arise and have more space for more colant....also that allows airpockets to escape, those airpockets could be causing your temperature sensors to read that its hotter than it really is. So take the radiator cap off and check to see if the fluid level is up there...if its not turn the truck on and add coolant to it till its full and let it run for another minute or so and then squeeze your upper radiator hose and see if it goes down anymore...if it does that means your taking more airbubbles out of the system...so try that. if it doesn't work then try replacing your thermostat back with the stock one to see if that fixes the problem.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
05bluedak
Rookie

i did keep the cap off while i started it and made sure that the level of collant was correct. does the radiator cap come off completely because i un screwed it but it remains attached.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:05 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran

yeah it comes all the way off...try taking it all the way off and try squeezing the radiator hose to see if you can get more airbubbles out...if that doesn't work then honestly I think it may be a faulty thermostat!

Old 12-20-2007, 03:06 PM
4x4QC06V8DKTA
Veteran

but you may wanna wait to see what the other guys say cause according to most i don't know anything so check with them

Old 12-20-2007, 03:12 PM
kingsaffey
Professional

might be a bad stat. i know someone else on here had a problem with the jet tstat. i installed the napa 180 tstat, its been workign good..

Old 12-20-2007, 05:39 PM
luvmydak
Veteran

Are you sure you installed it properly with the sensor side into the block? No offense, but we have all messed up installs one time or another. If you are sure you did, the t'stat may be bad. As suggested, reinstall the stock t'stat. Never had a problem with mine.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:04 PM
herkguy
Veteran

I think the three options are covered.
Make sure you bleed all the air, if that doesn't fix it drain it and make sure its in correct <----I installed one incorrect once, doesnt work very well at all.

If that doesn't do it, say some choice words and put the stocker in.

All easy to do just a PITA to wait for it to cool back down.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:48 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would say it is installed incorrectly. even the new stats are oem failsafe. when they go bad they open up not stay shut, and i am pretty sure the jet is the same way.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:14 PM
05bluedak
Rookie

Hey guys sorry for the really late response i had gone away the day after i installed everything and never got to repost again. After a while i rechecking everything i spent some time looking around the radiator to make sure the coolant was actually in there, i found a piece of the plastic coating or something not exactly sure towards the top of the radiator which was making it look like it was full but it clearly wasn't, hence the overheating. i put it back in place filled the radiator up properly and it works fine now. it took a while before i decided to check for any blockage in the radiator but that did the trick. the temperature definetely stays about 15 degrees cooler just like they promise.
also, i installed the Jet Chip, stage 2, into my truck and i definetly notice a good kick out of it. i saw someone else put a recent post that they had trouble with it, but mine worked perfectly. gas effeciency went down a little, but no more then i expected. i have a cat-back exhaust, fastman throttle body, K&N intake, and the 180 stat all with the chip definetly gives it some more pick up. Overall an easy install for the chip and good performance out of it. i'd say well worth the 200 bucks.

Quick Reply: JET low temp problem