3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

super or turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:10 AM
snipingdude
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default super or turbocharger?

are there any that fit into our trucks at all? (Just wondering you know? Cause im curious like that)

Old 01-18-2008, 10:30 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: super or turbocharger?

Squires Turbo Systems (STS) makes universal turbo kits; you can mount the turbo more or less anywhere in the exhaust stream, as long as you can send an intake line back up to the motor. It lets you boost vehicles for which there aren't any kits. I've seen pics of some turbos located all the way back, under the bed.

I've heard that the 3.7 and maybe the 4.7 pistons don't have much meat between the upper piston ring and top of the piston, which makes them less tolerant of boosting. Tuning might also be a challenge, buts a cool project.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem with STS kits are the plumbing issues. The oil feed and oil return lines are fighting gravity along the length of the vehicle. The biggest problem with the intake piping is the pressure drop you sustain with all of that. Not to mention, all of these components are exposed to the elements under the vehicle.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Racinartist
All Star

Dodge parts sells a supercharger kit for the 4.7. I haven't investigated what brand it is or anything, but it's in the Dodge parts catalog. If I remember right, it's around $3500 for the kit.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Donkeypunch (HA!) is right on all counts. There's a decent amount of room in a Dakota's engine bay, I'm sure a clever person could do it up.

Quick Reply: super or turbocharger?