3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

power wire vs chip vs combo

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 AM
rookie
Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default power wire vs chip vs combo

i'd love to see a dynocomparo of the homade power wire vs a jet chip or optimizer vs using both

Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Default RE: power wire vs chip vs combo

I think the ideal product to get would be a piggy-back controller that could adjust fuel, timing, and trans. shift points (for you automatic guys). The way I see it, the cost of the chip from Jet for our trucks is just shy of programing piggy back units for other vehicles.

The downfall of a "pre-set" chip, is that is a mild, set tune. Yeah, if you add the power wire to the chip (assuming the ECU does not compensate timing when it senses detonation...if it does) you could get a hair more power from it. Here's the catch, the ECU will have already advanced the timing and added fuel to both maps from the chip. Now you would be adding more fuel and more timing. This could potentially decrease power and destroy efficiency...(not to mention pre-detonation). Or, it could wake the motor up even more.

Ideally, I wish someone could make a programmer so that we don't have to stack units that screw with the ECU so many ways. Also, we can adjust the timing and fuel and tune with a wideband, where as using the powerwire and chip are just plug n play.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:19 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have one. first run is with , the 206 cams and the jet chip piggy backed by a simple flash. second run is when we messed with the fuel system. truck did not like that run that much. looking into going to the dyno again with in the next month. have a nx nitrous kit getting installed. i will need to get rid of the jet chip and have the ecu retarded a little for the juice. i also have videos of my pulls but dont know how to post them

[IMG]local://upfiles/31284/23832B0308F14E0B949123D5B3DD78B7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Cadillac15
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you doing for you Nitrous? cus from what Ive been told by "Dodge Gurus" is that with these engines that running more than 75 can cause major problems

Old 02-28-2008, 01:31 PM
rookie
Captain

those are some nice numbers. Do you run a power wire?

Quick Reply: power wire vs chip vs combo