3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

maybe a break through

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: maybe a break through

the problem is that these manufactures dont even look at the frt suspension of the trucks. they just say they will fit. i know the rears will work because they are a straight bolt on. but not the frt. i went with the same thing on the bilstein site. ordered the shocks for 05 and they were claiming to be the ones, but no. sorry, i did not mean to come off as a no it all. DD 06 thanks for trying to help out

Old 03-04-2008, 05:41 AM
tfowler306
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I dont have any experience with the dakota application, yet (picking up my new to me 05 dak quad cab 4x4 tonight). BUT I did buy this set for my 1990 F150 I really like them on that truck the ride was greatly improved as well as handeling the truck. It felt more stable around corners or pulling a load it didnt sway at all.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Racinartist
All Star

Just as a suggestion, I would say to look into what differences there are on the new TRX models compared to the 05-07 front suspensions. I mentioned it in another thread last week or whenever, but after test driving some the last few days I can tell you the suspesnion on them is MUCH better than what my 05 had. I know they have the stiffer shocks, but I haven't crawled underneath to see what, if any, other differences there are in the front strut assembly. The ride and handling of the new TRX is a world of difference from my wishy-washy ride I complained about constantly in the 05 model. It's firmer, so you give up a little bit of ride, but it kinda goes without saying that the tradeoff is a MUCH better feel and handling. Maybe it also has something to do with the BFG tires rather than the crap Goodyears, I don't know. I do know when I changed from the stock A/Ts to Goodyear SRAs on my 05, the ride got better, but it was still uncomparable to what I felt driving the TRX.

Like I said, just a suggestion.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional

ORIGINAL: Racinartist

Just as a suggestion, I would say to look into what differences there are on the new TRX models compared to the 05-07 front suspensions. I mentioned it in another thread last week or whenever, but after test driving some the last few days I can tell you the suspesnion on them is MUCH better than what my 05 had. I know they have the stiffer shocks, but I haven't crawled underneath to see what, if any, other differences there are in the front strut assembly. The ride and handling of the new TRX is a world of difference from my wishy-washy ride I complained about constantly in the 05 model. It's firmer, so you give up a little bit of ride, but it kinda goes without saying that the tradeoff is a MUCH better feel and handling. Maybe it also has something to do with the BFG tires rather than the crap Goodyears, I don't know. I do know when I changed from the stock A/Ts to Goodyear SRAs on my 05, the ride got better, but it was still uncomparable to what I felt driving the TRX.

Like I said, just a suggestion.
my trx is like a damn waterbed, even after both broken shocks and stab. links replaced under warranty. bah

Old 03-04-2008, 05:32 PM
DD064x4QC
Rookie

i think he has the new 08 TRX model which i have read online that they have better suspension but i also read this on dodge's website. have you checked out your new suspension yet Racinartist?

Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
djsilver
Professional

ORIGINAL: DD064x4QC

i think he has the new 08 TRX model which i have read online that they have better suspension but i also read this on dodge's website. have you checked out your new suspension yet Racinartist?
Which "he" are your referring to? Damn Dirty Ape's signature lists an '05 TRX. RacinArtist said he rode in an '08TRX but he owns and '05. Also provide a link to your reference on the Dodge site. I've looked there and haven't found any direct statements about the TRX having any differences in suspension from the other models. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Racinartist
All Star

ORIGINAL: djsilver

ORIGINAL: DD064x4QC

Which "he" are your referring to? Damn Dirty Ape's signature lists an '05 TRX. RacinArtist said he rode in an '08TRX but he owns and '05. Also provide a link to your reference on the Dodge site. I've looked there and haven't found any direct statements about the TRX having any differences in suspension from the other models. Thanks!
I'm in that between truck pergatory. [&:] I DID drive an 05 QC 4X4 (non-TRX) but it got hauled to the salvage yard last week. I haven't gotten a new truck yet but should be in the next 2 days. I'm getting kicked out of the rental tomorrow so it's getting kind of urgent.

And yes, I am opting for the 08 TRX. Me likey. That is the suspension/shocks/struts I was referring to looking into as an alternative to the wishy-washy Daks. It's MUCH better.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:31 PM
DD064x4QC
Rookie

well like i said i was trying to help out with some research on shocks/struts. i did go to PRO COMP and RANCHO websites when i had some time. and it really is true 4wheelparts.com was wrong with the listing. this is BS. i really dont understand why they dont make anything for our trucks. the 05-07 dakota is all i see here in illinois. if i would have know they didnt make anything i probably wouldnt have bought my truck. i wish my dog box would fit in a 4 door wrangler. i like those things. and they make lifts for them.

Quick Reply: maybe a break through