3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

LED Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:00 AM
Starlord
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Bulbs

I want to convert my tail lights to LED bulbs, and cannot find the info I need. the manual calls for 3057 bulbs for tail/brake/turn lights. I have found some bulbs listed as 3157 that it says they fit both 3157 and 3057. The bulbs in the truck now are incandescent and have two filaments, so the LED bulbs have to have that same capability. I have been trying to access Sylvania's site for replacement guide, but keep getting a message that their server does not exist. Anyone know what bulbs, exactly, I need? It sure would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LED Bulbs

Not totally sure, I know that there are quite a few of those LED converted tail lights selling on Ebay right now, you might email the seller of one of thoseand ask them your question.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Starlord

Thank you, Shibby. I am waiting to hear from a couple now, The replacement chart, by Sylvania, is not working, it says their server does not exist. I let ya know what I find out.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Frenchy
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3157 is the right bulb.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:27 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

all i gotta say is make sure u get the resistors..............

Old 04-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Starlord

I am now beginning to wonder if someone replace the taillight assemblies with an after market set. The owner's manual, while not clear, says 3057 bulbs for tail/turn, tail/stop and back-up. The Chilton book (we buy one for every vehicle we get)states there are four bulbs, the tail/turn, tail/stop. back-up and side marker. Close examaination just now, shows me two bulbs. One is parking/turn/stop, and a cut-out in the internal structure of the assembly lets you see it from the side , for the side marker. the lower bulb is the back-up light, which lights up a lens that is red on top and white below/ I did not take the assembly apart to see what kind of bulb it was. There is a world of difference between two bulbs and four. Thank you for your responses, as i am pulling out what little hair I have left.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

that book is lying to you there is only 2 bulbs..................

Trending Topics

Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 AM
mb18
Record Breaker

There's only two bulbs..back up and tail/turn/brake. Both are 3157 bulbs. When you convert to LEDs, don't forget the resistors for the tail/brake/turn bulbs. Back up lights do not need resistors. The whole conversion takes less than an hour...I did it last summer. Bought front turn signal LEDs, too, but just haven't installed them yet...someday soon!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:51 AM
Starlord

I want to thank everyone for their input on my inquiries about LED light bulbs. I decided to go with an outfit called superbrightleds.com. Their prices and shipping charges are better than any in ebay, and even our local Checker Autos charge $14.99 plus 9.6 per cent sales tax. I got two red bulbs, each with 25 LEDs and a built-in resistor, making it a drop-in replacement, with dual intensity. Anyone considering going the LED route can do worse than superbrightleds.com. Next payday, I plan on getting the front running/turn signal bulbs.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:17 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Whats your thoughts on the back up lights, are you going to change them out too?

Quick Reply: LED Bulbs