3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

brakes or wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
rayj05
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes or wheel bearing

hey whats going on guys i just had a question. My passenger frontbrake caliper orbearing seems to belike lockingup every time that i drive it for about thirty minutes at highway speed it starts to get hot. I changed the bearing a year ago before i went tokorea and have no problems till i get to VA and i drove it loaded down with all my stuff and a trailer.So has anyone had a caliper go bad yet. My truck is an 05 AT V8 and 4WD with about 43,000 on it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
SHoffman
Rookie
Default RE: brakes or wheel bearing

i thought it was bumper to bumper 3/36, powertrain 7/70. i'm not sure they would call a wheel bearing or caliper a powertrain component, more like drivetrain.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
rayj05
Amateur

ya they dont cover it because when the wheel bearing did go bad i was only like 250 miles over my warranty when i moved from CO to PA but i think that it is the caliper just freezing up so im just going to do that they are only seventy bucks so no big deal i just want my truck right thanks guys

Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM
Mahadigus
Rookie

It's common for chrysker brake calipers to freeze up and pull to one side...I've changed hundreds...make sure u pinch off the brake line and then flush till new fluid comes out.
oh and make sure u get 2 new brass washers and torque em to spec or they'll crush and leak.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:37 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

I never had to use new brass washers the old ones worked every time. I have changed many!Just make sure they are tight.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Mahadigus
Rookie

ORIGINAL: sdsdsd

I never had to use new brass washers the old ones worked every time. I have changed many!Just make sure they are tight.

I like to look at this situation as a major one... It's brakes man not an air intake....this is what's between you and death...why the hell would you want to cheap out and reuse parts like that...espcially when 90% of calipers come with the new hardware....That's just silly...If i were ever to do something like that at work my licence would be out the window...and there would probably be a major lawsuit on my hands too....it's just not worth it to half *** it...that's my $0.02.

Not here to flame...just not the right advice to give someone imo.

Quick Reply: brakes or wheel bearing