3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tire age...how old are your's

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:47 PM
SilverGhost1
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire age...how old are your's

Check out the following link about the US Tire Industry's refusal to give the American public the safety information they deserve about the age of your tires.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?...029&page=1

This should make you furious at the tire industry's arrogance and lack of care for the safety of consumer.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Shibby927
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tire age...how old are your's

I still have the stock Wrangler SR-As, they ride like crap and they have 30k on them now. Will probably need to get new tires sometime soon.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:56 AM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

My grandma was telling me about that today. Biggest thing is how tires are stored not there age. Tires 2 years old could be in better shape than tires 6 moths old if the latter where stored outside in the sun and the older ones indoors.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:31 PM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

Here we go again someone got wind of the ABC special on tire age and get all excited. The age has NOTHING to do with it. It is only the environment in which they have ben exposed. I work in the tire world. The Age thing is such crap!! I had tires that were 15years old on my 67 dodge. The car was kept in a dark garage never exposed to sun and they were perfect the day I sold it. I see tires that are 4 years old and dry rotted as they sat in a customers dirt drive way. ABC needs to find something else to worry about! All my tires are kept in a temp controlled basement in my store (even tho I dont have anything over 3 years old) I would not have a problem selling a 8 yo tire out of my stock. My advice is if you are a worrier and just jumped on the next hot topic waste your money on new tires every year. I look forward to this report as my sales tripple when all the worriers come in. I do the right thing and tell customers those reports are crap, if the tires have good tread and no enviromental wear I reccommend NOT replacing, but if they push the issue I am always more than happy to sell new ones! All these reports is boost the sales of the crooks in the business, makes it hard on honest retailers. Keep proper air pressure and alignment and you do not have to worry. If you live in a hot climate check for dry rot (small cracking) if you dont see it dont worry, regardless of the age!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:38 PM
SilverGhost1
All Star

Here we go again... Someone who just can't take a post for "as info" and has become the "All knowing".

QCDAKblue, I posted the article because it seems to have some validity. I don't necessarily agree with what it says. So please, do not assume what I think or what I know. I really do not care if you work in the "tire world". There is no need to be rude or come off like you are the "all knowing". Further, your view may not be shared by all in "your world".

Also, the article was really a means to share with the American public that most of the world's tire cos. tell their citizens how to tell how old tires are, but the US Tire industry likes to keep it hush and not bother for some reason.

It's not the first industry that likes to keep secrets. I mean, look at the gas prices. I am sure that the reason why gas rises 5-7 cents every three days is because of a middle east scare or a storm in the Gulf ("wink"). Sure it is. If things were so bad, the oil industry wouldn't be raking it in by the truck-load with record profits.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

the "all knowing".
Dont mind him hes from Texas! hahaha

Old 05-09-2008, 08:56 PM
QCDAKblue
Veteran

How do you figure the manufactures do not tell people how old tires are.....All you have to do is look at the DOT code. Actully not from Texas I just wound up here! I do not know how they are keeping secrets, can find out anyting if you spend the time.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 PM
MoparPower00
Rookie

I heard something the other day (either on the tv news or newspaper) tires are expected to go up anywhere from 10%-40% in the next yr due to having made with oil.

I've already heard that a $100 last yr at this time will now cost you $200! S&*T I think I better go look for new now....I've got this stock Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's....what a load of crap!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 11:10 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a pair of michelin tires that went on a 93 corolla in 1997 and are now on the rear of a mercury tracer, with little tread life left. That makes them 11 years old. There fine.

Quick Reply: Tire age...how old are your's