3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Y-PIPE Question...SuperDAK help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008 | 09:48 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Default RE: Y-PIPE Question...SuperDAK help

Dont give me a black eyes guys[sm=insomnia.gif]just helping another member out. [sm=smiley33.gif]I dont care either way, so peace to all

DSCF0005.jpg
DSCF0006.jpg
DSCF0007.jpg
DSCF0008.jpg

Old 07-09-2008 | 09:52 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

i understand where ur coming from NJJer if u tested it which i didnt realize u did, you are going to be right..... so if you slap some headers on you should get the full performance of the headers, am i correct?

Old 07-10-2008 | 01:12 AM
NJJer
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 2006DAKOTAV8

look man i'm not gonna try to be a dick but i think you took that a little to far!! he was giving his best info on what he knows to be true. You know what SuperDak has done alot of motor work from what people have said and so that means he knows alot. not stating your wrong but dont' start calling people out and claiming your king of the rock over something that frankly isn't that important. granted you may be right you may be wrong...but what i'm gonna do is just simply leave it the way it is and get my headers put on and not mess with it. i figure it is good enough for me. I'm not going for massive power so it doesn't matter anywayyou know! so don't be burning bridges and making people look or try to make them look stupuid!! Just know that it's an opinion made by one of the other members and its just that an OPINION. so don't be making a big deal out of nothing man just keep it cool man!
I see that your post is in reply to me?

I am sorry that you think that "I took it a little too far". That was not my intention at all.
At times when we try and help out, things don't always come out as they should.
If you re-read my first line, which maybe I should have written in another way, you may be able to see I am not trying to "talk down" about what the man has done.

I was not there when he did what he did. Maybe his "Y" is differant than mine? I don't know, all I can tsalk about is what mine is like and what results I have gotten.

Maybe the man did get the positive results he did in going to a new "Y" that is larger than the tiny one that was on there? If so, that would be easily possible if so.

I appologize to superdak05. Sorry Bro if things went wrong.

Thanks to lghtngblt02 for posting those pics. I see I need to tale more so that you can see more clearly. But with these, you should get some idea.

Old 07-10-2008 | 01:30 AM
NJJer
Veteran

ORIGINAL: BAdassR/T

i understand where ur coming from NJJer if u tested it which i didnt realize u did, you are going to be right.....
Lets see if I can help you with this and not ruffle any feathers. lol

Headers will show a nice gain, if they are designed a certain way.

Let me tell you what I have planned to test sometime, maybe fall/winter. No hurry to as my truck is just a go out/ weekend vehicle.

I want to do a set of long tubes. They must have merge collectors ($$$)
How long and what primary size? Who knows. Engine specs, and available room will dictate this.
Collector length? Again, comes back to what works and fits.

Cats? I will try stock. They are what can be called High Flow. Maybe I can get one on a flow bench and get some numbers? Only thing, measuring "cold" will not give the same results as when they are "hot". And we all know that they are hot when in use.

You asked, "so if you slap some headers on you should get the full performance of the headers, am i correct?"

Depends on who and what we are talking about? If the rest of the system is opened up like yours (dual Magna), then yes, *you should get as much as you could out of them.*

* This is if you get the thing tuned for its current set-up.

Mods can help, but to get the most out of them the vehicle should be tuned for it. The stock ECU only can "tune" so much.

I am just playing along with the stock ecu and have no intentions of mesing with a tune.

Old 07-10-2008 | 08:15 AM
snipingdude
All Star

So....what do you ask the shop to do? To help fab a better less restrictive Y? and thats it?

Old 07-10-2008 | 04:45 PM
NJJer
Veteran

ORIGINAL: snipingdude

So....what do you ask the shop to do? To help fab a better less restrictive Y? and thats it?
From what I wrote above:

Cut off stock pipes as they exit cats.

Open up the exit to match the pipe size you wish to use. I used 2.5"

You going dual or single from here?

Don't forget that the O2 bungs have to be welded back into the new pipes.

Old 07-10-2008 | 07:50 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

alright so i plan on doing supercharger and headers at the same time b/c i know that headers put out alot more power when u supercharge ur truck, am i right?

Old 07-10-2008 | 08:03 PM
NJJer
Veteran

True

Get the biggest primaries you can and use a large collector with equally large pipes on back.

Turbos and s/c like to exhale.

Quick Reply: Y-PIPE Question...SuperDAK help