3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

electric AC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:09 PM
jimboscomp
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric AC?

Anyone know of electric AC motors out there? I have an idea.

I just read how in 2009, the Prius is going to get 2-5KW solar panels on the roof of high-end models, that will run the AC of the car, taking it off not only the gas motor but also the electric motor. Now this just like..gave me the most insane idea...so yeeah, anyone know where I can look into this? I may want to modify some things in the truck...

Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
jimboscomp
All Star
Default RE: electric AC?

the prius is a friggin egg on wheels...i'm not looking into changing my career to being the easter bunny...
haha

but uhm...the more I thought about it...a nicely sized solar panel on top of the truck would be a boost of power, if I got the right kind. And maybe not just looking at the AC unit, but anything I can power off of solar would be VERY nice, take anything off the grid.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM
jimboscomp
All Star

I was thinking about that. I did buy a 7ah lead acid battery that is 12v. It's a pretty hefty battery without being overly big. If I got a 18w solar panel (I also have the option of a 67w), that could power it during the day which would be nice. And I was thinking of running a few items on that. One that could save power from the alt would be the radio...but, what is I got an electric fan? Does anyone know how many watts the ones they installed use? I want to make a big dent in power consumption.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:39 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Solar Film is (sort of) becoming commercially available. It can convert 20% of the suns energy, which is much better than photovolatic panels. Should be cheaper too. Maybe apply it to a tonneu cover for20 square feet of coverage?You could installa switch to chrage from the alternator at night, and rainy days. Fun project, but not really going to make a dent in mileage, or power for your Dakota. The Prius is a little different obviously due to it's overall build characteristics...but even then, it's more for "green" show.

Quick Reply: electric AC?