3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

aftermarket tranny cooler

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 04:22 PM
LB
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering if you use one of those special tools the fitting comes out of the bulkhead, and it stays in the radiator. Seems like not a good design if that's how it works. I bought one of those tools but could not get the fitting out so I started to remove the bulkhead fitting and antifreeze came out.

LB

Old 08-24-2008, 04:55 PM
LB
Veteran

OK Boop,
I figured this out if you haven't already. Just slide the white protector back, take a small screwdriver and pop off the clip and the hose comes right out. I feel pretty stupid as I wish I had the patience to figure this out when I did my trans filters and shift kit. I thing the design is strange as the bulkhead fitting seals the antifreeze side, so if it comes out does the antifreeze and trans fluid mix?

Somewhere around 17K I went from 17MPG to about 15.9, at 27K I put in new plugs, changed all fluids to AMSOIL (except trans) trying to get the mileage back with no change. At 30K I did both filters and a transgo kit, it took 8 qts mopar ATF+4 (would have done the rest if I could have gotten the trans line off). Since then I gained a consistant 1.5MPG increase to 17.5+ combined driving, I can't justify either the shift kit or the 8qts transfluid, but something worked...

My quandry at this point is do I drain my pan change filters again (they are very cheap at bulkparts.com) and change the rest of the fluid for a full change or do it next year.

Just my 2 cents

LB

Old 08-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Dobbie1950
Default Trans Cooler

I installed a aftermarket trans cooler on my 05 Dakota last year. The fittings on the radiator seal both the water jacket and the cooler line. The best thing to do is cut the hose on the drivers side and splice into it. I got my fittings at home depot, after searching three auto parts stores. havn't had a problem yet. Just remember to run the new cooler through the radiator cooler, this warms the fluid in the winter time.

Quick Reply: aftermarket tranny cooler