3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front-end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:54 AM
dpluta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front-end vibration

I have a 2006 Dakota SLT Quad Cab. When braking, the front end vibrates considerably. I had the axle job done per the vibration-related TSB and I have replaced both the factory brakes and rotors with better quality aftermarket parts. Yet, the vibrations still occur.

Any ideas? I have less than 30k on it and the tires seem fine. There's no vibration while driving, just braking. I'm taking it to the dealer, but I'd like to get some ideas here first, before taking it ot them.

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:32 PM
MoparPower00
Rookie

I have this problem as well in my 05 QC. I've had the axles checked as well, and had all 4 rotors checked. Still hasn't helped any. I''m on to the shocks now and will probally be replacing them with the new Ranchos for our Dakota's. So yes, if anyone else out there has any input on this problem, I would love to hear about it as well!

MoparPower00

Old 08-16-2008, 02:48 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kudos on getting the rear-end TSB done. Since you have already done that, Id say your shocks are shot...this leads to excessive up and down wear on the tie-rod ends...which are probably also shot. While you're replacing parts, I'd do the sway bar end links...cause those are probably shot too. I hope it has not made it's way into your steeering rack. It all starts with really bad shocks. The stockers are only good for 20,000 miles...and I'd argue that the design is so bad that they never should have made it to production in the first place. All of these worn components will lead to a brake vibration, even with new rotors.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:18 PM
dpluta

Well, I took it to the dealer and of course they did nothing but clean and adjust the rear brakes. That did little to nothing to stop it. I hate front-end probs. Seems like you have to replace each part until you get lucky. This is my second (and last new Dodge). I'm bailing out on american-built next time around. The only one I ever had luck with was a GM, and that model was designed and built in Europe.

The only people saddened by the decline of the american auto makers are probably mechanics that make a ton of money off their lousy engineering and customer service. I've had it!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:08 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

have u tried the spacers in between ur wheels? that made mine shake while braking-

Old 08-20-2008, 04:35 PM
dpluta

No. Is there a formal name for the part? I'll try anything that's cheap. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:22 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't think you'd need spacers to reduce vibration. If it's vibrating, something is worn out, out of round, or misaligned. The lug nuts could have been mis-sequenced and overtightened...that will warp a disk asap. I'd look at tie rod ends and an alignment first. And if you haven't replaced the shocks, you really ought too.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:47 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

the only way i said spacers is bc i had that problem when i put my new rims on- and all the work hes had done it wouldnt surprise me they didnt put them back on for the stock wheels-

Quick Reply: Front-end vibration