3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Tach, fuel gauge, speedo, radio, signals no worky...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 PM
RJMik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach, fuel gauge, speedo, radio, signals no worky...

Hey everyone! Love the forums here.

I bought my 06 Dakota 5 weeks ago. Today, I get in the truck and first notice the radio not working. It ejected the CD when the button was pushed, but no radio.

I figure a fuse, I'll get it later. I start to drive off and notice...the speedometer isn't working...or the tach...or the fuel gauge....or the temp gauge....or even the signals! The odometer is no longer tracking the distance either. Now I'm a little more concerned as you can imagine.

I checked all fuses and all are good. I also notice when hitting the lock button on my key the doors lock but no light flash/quiet honk goes with it.

So.....I come back to it later. I turn the key, the tach still doesn't work, but the check engine light is now on, and the fuel/temp gauge/radio works....for a few seconds. The CE light goes off....along with the fuel/temp/radio.

Any ideas?

2006 Dakota
4.7L V8
85,000 kms
1 concerned owner

Old 09-29-2008, 01:10 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

hmmmmm? its lost its damn mind! You try seeing if any codes were recorded to the PCM, by hooking up a scanner? Id start there, its def confusing and you got me

Old 09-29-2008, 10:55 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

disconnect the battery overnight and let the system completely forget it self. when you reconnect the battery everything should work. if not. you have a bad ground fault in the truck. it may have some corrosion or rust built up on it. where it may be who knows

Old 09-29-2008, 02:24 PM
RJMik
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info so far guys.

I let it sit overnight and did a lot of praying. This morning I went out and turned the key and viola! All gauges worked, radio on, signals worked. The only remaining problem was the check engine light remained on. I plugged in an OBDII reader and got the following displays:

Faults - 7
Pending - 0

1. P0004 - (Fuel Volume Regulator Control Circuit High)
2. U0101 - (Lost Communication with TCM)
3. N/A
4. U1120 - (Invalid or missing data for Primary Id)
5. P0499 - (Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit High)
6. U0141 - (Lost communication with body control module A)
7. U1411 - (Implausible Fuel Volume Signal Received)

I then cleared the CE light. Everything seems to point to a communication loss between the gauges and the computer, except the P0499.

Does anyone have any further insight into these issues? Like I said, everything is running and acting completely normal today. Also, since clearing the CE light, it has not returned.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too sure with the other codes but I know that on a lot of newer vehicles an evap code can be caused by not turning the gas cap enough when you put it back on, I always turn it till I hear 3-5 clicks.

Quick Reply: Tach, fuel gauge, speedo, radio, signals no worky...