3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Stripped Bolt on Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:29 AM
sdsdsd
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say rounded off. If so I would try a Snap On Tools brand 6 point socket. I have removed many rounded bolts with that socket. Apparently they drive on the flats not the corners.Snap On tools has a pattent on it.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
ramos160
Professional

I'll definitely try this out, i hope they carry this at home depot, thanks.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you manage to strip two bolts?? Your stripped the head of the bolt?

Old 12-24-2008, 01:41 AM
ramos160
Professional

Well, I was able to get the two bolts off with a map pro torch. I heated them up till they were bright red. I kept on cranking on it till it finally came out. I thought that was the end of my problems. I cannot remember how many of the bolts snapped off but I am pretty sure it was close to half of them.

The advertisement says, Easy bolt on installation, there is nothing easy about installing these headers. I do not see how the heck I'm supposed to bolt the new header's back on. There is absolutely no space. I bent up one of the gaskets trying to put it in place with the header. Looks like I will not be completing this task, I'm taking it to a local mechanic.

Also, for those of you who are considering doing this yourself, many mechanics refuse to work on performance exhaust systems such as these header's. The local Dodge in Riverhead stated they do not install header's due to quality/gaurantee issues. Another downside to having this installation performed is having to re-torque the bolts after so many miles (in this case, after 100 miles), then regularly checking. This means that I will have to make another trip to the mechanic.

For those who do not have many mechanical skills and want to try this I suggest finding a mechanic, as a back up, that is willing to finish the job incase you are not able to. If you cannot find someone there is a good chance that you will be screwed.

I am glad I found a decent mechanic in Riverhead that is willing to help me complete this installation, he even offered to tow my truck to his shop.

Currently, I am in the market for gaskets for the header's. I have heard of aluminum gaskets but have not found any for our truck. I am thinking of purchasing a set of OEM gaskets from Dodge. Will these gaskets serve it's purpose? Also, I have been told to double up on gaskets, meaning put 2 gaskets on each header. I'm not sure if I should do this or not.

Biggest snow storm of the season so far, good thing I have a truck sitting in my garage.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:53 AM
ramos160
Professional

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
How did you manage to strip two bolts?? Your stripped the head of the bolt?
Yes, I stripped the head of the bolt. These bolts were so difficult to remove that I actually broke one of the sockets. The actual bolt was in great shape, the head was what was all corroded and falling apart. I used a torch and a pair of vice grips. I also place a rod on the bolt and started hitting it w/ a hammer to loosen the bolt.

I'm currently going to college to get a business degree. I asked my friend who is a mechanic for any advice on removing these bolts. I thought maybe I was doing it wrong. After I finished I felt as if I pulled a groin, my elbow was all banged up from trying to get leverage and my arms and hands were all scraped up. I asked him, is there an easier way? This can't be how all mechanics do this. He replied, well being a mechanic is tough work that's why we charge so much, it's not like we sit around counting money all day. I thought it was funny how he took this as an opportunity to take a shot at me, that bastard.

Quick Reply: Stripped Bolt on Manifold