3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

OK, lets get the 101 on a custom SCT tune...Throw in your info.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 PM
snipingdude
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default OK, lets get the 101 on a custom SCT tune...Throw in your info.

What is it?
Who does it?
Typical cost?
What are some required parts?
I assume we can get a baseline tune for our trucks (4.7) and then continue to customize based on added mods correct?
Ive heard "canned" tunes going around, anyone know what those are?

Whats the scoops on it guys...I'm assuming its better than any tuner out there because its solely on the individuals truck and updates can continue...

I know Mikset in talks to getting one done.

We should keep this somewhere in the common questions thread...

Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 PM
mikset
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snipingdude
What is it?
Who does it?
Typical cost?
What are some required parts?
I assume we can get a baseline tune for our trucks (4.7) and then continue to customize based on added mods correct?
Ive heard "canned" tunes going around, anyone know what those are?

Whats the scoops on it guys...I'm assuming its better than any tuner out there because its solely on the individuals truck and updates can continue...

I know Mikset in talks to getting one done.

We should keep this somewhere in the common questions thread...
First of all, SCT is a hand held tuner much like SC or Hypertech. http://www.sctflash.com/ While SCT does not officially support tuning on our trucks, there are a couple individuals, authorized SCT custom tuners, that have been doing tunes on our rigs.

Price I got from the individual I am working with is $549, price includes the SCT programmer and tuning. Unlimited updates as long as he is an SCT tuner.

A wide band air/fuel meter with datalogger is recommended for the custom tune, although I know not everyone has one before they get the tuner. Wideband is anywhere from 250.00 up. The one I am looking at costs around 400.00.

The way a true custom tune works is: The wideband datalogger records a/f ratio and rpm, not sure what else, you download it to your puter and send it to the tuner. He reads info and sends you another tune, which you upload to the SCT then upoad it to your pcm via the obd port. This may happen several times until the tune is dialed in. The best thing about a custom tune is that you can keep getting updates as you add mods cams, heads etc.

The guy I'm working with username is hemifever, very respected custom tuner. Do a name search on most any Dodge forum and it should come up.

A canned tune is what you get from SC. This is a tune that is supposed to cover, for instance, all 05-07 4.7 Dakotas.

Hope this helps, not sure if I've missed anything, try a search for more detailed info.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:54 AM
scatpack_69
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure what the SCT "custom" tunes are, but as far as I know you cant get custom programming. You can only adjust a certain aspect within a set parameter. Thats why a supercharger kit comes with an injector; so more fuel can be added along with more air. Custom programming; that wouldnt be necessary. Unless somethings changed that Im unaware of...

The only way you could get true custom ECM tuning is with a standalone unit...

Like EFILive and HPtuners for GM applications. Those you can adjust absolutely EVERYTHING within the computer; shift points, rev limiter, speed limiter, pulse width, timing, etc. No such thing exists for Dodge/Chrysler applications. THATS true custom tuning...

Correct me if Im wrong

Old 12-17-2008, 01:18 AM
mikset
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're probably right, I think there are limitations on Chrysler ECU's that you don't find on GM products but that's a q for the guys that do the tuning.

Quick Reply: OK, lets get the 101 on a custom SCT tune...Throw in your info.