3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New member and question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 PM
2daks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member and question

Hi there, I bought a left over 08 quad cab 4x4 sport on December 23, 2008. Merry Christmas to me. I've driven a 97 Dak ext cab for the past 10 years. Searched off and on for a year, different makes, lots of test drives and came home with the same truck, only difference is quad cab this time. Even the same Dodge Red color. My 16 year old son was stoked when I came home with the new truck. He was even more stoked when I told him we had to go back to the dealer to pick up the 97. I was smiling over my new truck and he was smiling just as much over his "new" 97. Love the new 08, sort of feel civilized after driving the "tired" 97 for so long.

Now for a few complaints on the 08. Is it normal for the headlight switch to feel weak? What I mean is when I switch from hi to low beams the switch doesn't "click" very firm and I have actually clicked on the turn signals when dimming the lights. This has happened a few times and could be a safety issue if someone misreads my intentions from the turn signal coming on. There seems to be a half second delay in the lights dimming also. I have double clicked and blinded the oncoming drivers because of this. I've never had headlights act like this. Is this normal or a bad switch?
One other thing is the Cruise Control is hard to use at night as it's not illuminated. I'm pretty sure my wifes Explorer has lighted controls on the steering wheel. Hate to complain as I love this new truck . I can live with the Cruise Control but the headlights got me worried.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 PM
snipingdude
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi and welcome to the forum...I personally dont have an 08 but a couple people here do...my guess for the delay is it could be a bad switch, there really shouldnt be a delay when u turn stuff on and off....but im not totally sure about how the layout for the lightrsand switches are...someone will be bound to chime in...Good Luck!

BTW Eagles are winning the Superbowl =D

Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all welcome to DF and congratulations on the new truck! As far as the headlight switch mine does not behave like that at all on my 05, the click does not seem noticeable soft to me (certainly haven't had it turn on the blinkers unless I intended to) and I've never noticed a delay in the lights shutting off. Unless they changed it for 08 which I highly doubt they would change it in the way you're describing I would say it's not working as intended.

Oh and be ready for a whole bunch of replies demanding pics of it

Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM
2daks
Professional

A Turnpike Super Bowl would be nice, but the Lombardi Trophy like the sun will wind up in the west. It's "Six Pack" time in Steeler Country.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:12 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

OH SHEIT, you broke rule number one
When posting about your new ride, place pictures within the thread. If you need help doing so, ask for help
WHERES THE PICTURES MAN? haha My light switch is kinda soft although I feel a slight click, not sure about the 08s though Someone will chime in for sure though...

BTW Welcome to DF and the 3rd Gen Dak Section

Old 01-17-2009, 02:56 AM
fireman2828
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome...and congrats on new ride. My Cruise switch on my 05 is not luminated, but easy to feel. Never had a problem dimming/brightening lights, just people always flashing me when on dims.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:17 AM
stonfootball

welcome to the 3rd gen section. I owned a 96 Dakota and i know the difference you are talking about. yeah the high beam switch is a lot looser than the older models. the older ones actually had a hard feel to it but now due to MODERN technology and enough complaints things change. but mine doesn't a long of a delay but that could also be due to the softness and firmness of the lever change that your not used to yet. and yeah i agree when i went to the 06 from the 96 alot of things where different. so take a couple weeks and learn the truck like i had to and eventually it will feel natural and you'll feel right at home like you did in the 97. congrats on the purchase.

Quick Reply: New member and question