3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

level kit vs ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themoneyshot
this option goes above the strut like the original tm. this gives us the original problem of the strut over extending the and binding the cv.

i am considering taking mine out. while out i am thinking of replacing the control arm/ball joint to save the inevitable. which is the weakest upper or lower? does anyne think they will make tubular a arms that take a moog joint any time soon?
Well I just had to get a lower ball joint replaced and now I've got some rather pleasant noises coming from the other side so I suspect that ball joint followed suit. Unfortunately there is no aftermarket option for ball joints right now, at least the lower ones.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:04 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably a stupid question, but did you get an alignment? Very important.
I would order a complete aftermarket front end kit tommorow if one were available.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 AM
themoneyshot
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did get an alignment immediately after installation. i bought the life time package and went back 2 weeks later to double check. tire pressures are right on. i think it was a knee jerk reaction to the cv issue without any trials. until now where i hear the block is thinner and goes on top again. i hate paying to be a guinea pig!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mprohr
Probably a stupid question, but did you get an alignment? Very important.
I would order a complete aftermarket front end kit tommorow if one were available.
I got an alignment right after I installed my kit, then again when I got new tires and I believe they did an alignment when the ball joint was replaced.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:45 AM
tankmechus
Rookie

I have the TM leveling kit installed in between the coil spring and the strut top mount plate. I had to take the strut assembly apart to install the leveling kit. I also installed the Ranchos and sway bar end links at the same time. I haven't had any problems with front end components since I've installed the new items. Only problem I've encountered is a loud squeaking, in cold weather, when I go over speed bumps. I took the front end apart again and found the squeak coming from the upper control arm rear bushing. Dodge only sells it as the complete upper control arm assembly for $250, so I'm not gonna do that just yet. Auto Zone said they can get them for $99/each for the bushings, but they are a press fit so you would probably need a shop to install them in the control arm. Guess I'll just deal with the squeaking until I have ball joint probs, because it doesn't seem worth the almost $300 and time it takes to change out the upper arm. Oh well.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:51 PM
flyboy1304
Veteran

hey tank how do the rancho shocks feel with the leveling kit? is there still alot of sway with the kit? someone was saying that ht monroes with tht elevel kit feel wose than stock... I'm ordering the tm kit and the body lift on friday and i need to know it its worth ordering new shock while i'm under there messing with it. my stock shocks are fine.

Quick Reply: level kit vs ride