3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

rattle in the back?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 03:12 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle in the back?

Ok long story. My Dak only havs 19800 on it. I am getting a rattleing coming fron the back when I go over some bumps. In the summer I thought it was the hitch ratteling around BUT this weekend I did not have the hitch in the receiver an still getting the rattle. And get this, Taking wife, son and son's friend to the camp so thee were 2 coolers, cloths, enough to fill the bed and have a bag between the guys in the back seat, so it had SOME weight but not over what it should handle. Anyway, driving out there were some very big dips in the road, big enough so that when I hit them, I felt like I bottomed out in the back and we all were a bit jared. AND my brake light and ABS came on with the "ding" for approx 5 seconds and went off again. Next big bump, same thing. Any idea if I jared something lose? the bottoming out could cause this? Thinking monroe is soon to be in my future but first I am going to set the PCM back to stock and bring it into the dealer. hopefully they can fix the rattleing under warrenty. Anyone else have something like this?

Old 02-21-2009, 03:30 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like a busted shock mount, or even a blown shock, could have a rusted exhaust hanger, thats banging on the frame. crawl under truck, and have the kids jump up and down in the bed. see if you can pin point where the noise is coming from. also check the spare tire, the cable may be loose

Old 02-21-2009, 09:44 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a plastic cover over the oem shock. That covers gets loose and flops around making a rattling noise. You shocks are probably shot.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

would that explain the Brake and ABS lights also?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

Originally Posted by paul05dak
would that explain the Brake and ABS lights also?
ummm, no not a shock.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:25 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker

ok sooo I believe I know what the rattling is. I had the back resonator removed and they put in a bent pipe in it's place. It has enough side to side movement that it can hit the shackle to the leaf spring. COOL not a big deal and when i go for a upgraded muffler that will be taken care of. The lights I think were caused but the hitting adn getting air on the back tires, The ABS could have been fooled as turning on (no longer on the ground) and the ABS would turn on. The brake lite well, just on cause of the shock the back took. I will keep an eye on it but I think i can stay away from the stealership for now.

Quick Reply: rattle in the back?