3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2" Above Strut lift install writeup

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice write up....

one thing though. when i did mine, i flipped the tie rod ball joints over so they wouldnt be at such an angle

Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 PM
dakolorado
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJJer
Nice write up!

I could never write that. lol
Thank you, I bet you could it just takes patience and obsession with being **** about things.

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
Cool. Nice job. Your sway bar end links were in much better shape then mine. In fact everything looks cleaner under there. I notice that your driveway is not black top. Where are you from? Maybe you don't get the heavy salting we do lol. Hex fitting didn't matter for me on that thing, there was no getting that bolt off. Had to go from the bottom, but awesome write up, great pictures, very easy to understand, unlike my huge messy write up lol. Truck looks good.
Thanks, the truck is from Texas (explains the clean underbody).

Originally Posted by ericemery
not bad at all...

but where are your other write ups?

(just playing, the last sentence made me say it. )
I knew someone was going to say something when I wrote that. Go to jk-forum.com and look up "julietkilo" you will find about 50 writeups and 2000 posts... all on jeeps. Again I am obsessed.

Originally Posted by Altair
Nice write-up, copied to the FAQ section.
Thanks. Honored. There will be plenty more.

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
Dakolorado,

I see in another thread, the "post pictures of your lift and wheels" or somthing along that line, that you stated you have, or are going to have "rear 1.5" ram blocks" So I assume you are going to use the factory blocks off of a Ram? Sounds good. If you want to create a "How too" for the rear when you do that, I am sure we would all appreciate it.
Right, will have the write up and details for that when I get the lift from UPS. (in route as we write this)

Originally Posted by Frenchy
And dude, dakolorao, you have ridiculously veiny hands!

Scary....
Thats what happens when you are not fat and workout.

Originally Posted by 06dak287
nice write up....

one thing though. when i did mine, i flipped the tie rod ball joints over so they wouldnt be at such an angle
That requires a reamer tool, which I do not have at the moment. Also you will need an alignment after you do a tie rod flip. But there will be a write for that also.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:11 PM
dakolorado
Professional

UPDATE:

I am not sure if its the geometry of the suspension but the front end feels stiffer now. Not so bouncy. I have these large speed bumps that I hit when I come on the Air Base and they usually cause the truck to bounce and squat terribly but today when I hit them the truck wasnt so bad. I will have to keep an eye on this but it should not really affect anything since the its NOT inside the spring and strut assembly.

Some new daytime pics as well.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ericemery
looks good man, i may have to do the tm, since i picked up my ram 20's tonight?
Go shorty, it's your birthday.

Great write up. I can't help but say that you should have replaced the shocks while you were 'already there'. That said, it will help many. Now get an alignment.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you paint your wheels gunmetal or does it just look that way because of the light?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:32 AM
dakolorado
Professional

Originally Posted by Altair
Did you paint your wheels gunmetal or does it just look that way because of the light?
Its the light or dirt??? I have not painted them. I am not sure if I am going to paint the wheels or get new ones. I do like the gunmetal or argent that some wheels come in. I was even thinking black.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:37 AM
dakolorado
Professional

Originally Posted by mprohr
Go shorty, it's your birthday.

Great write up. I can't help but say that you should have replaced the shocks while you were 'already there'. That said, it will help many. Now get an alignment.
I inspected the shocks and believe they are still good. I did not feel that my truck needed them. When the dealership replaces the broken tie rod they will give me a free alignment anyway. that is scheduled for 9am monday.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 PM
dakolorado
Professional

UPDATE: I took a short trip down the highway to a little off road area and bounced the truck. It seems to me that the strut is much stiffer. Although this did nothing to the shock I promise you that there is no need for shocks on my truck now. I love the stiffer front end with this lift. The extra leverage on the lower a arm has caused my truck to ride like a truck. Save your money and install a 2 inch front lift and see what you think of your truck before you throw away money on shocks. I could not ask for a better riding truck now!!!

Our daks should have come this way from the factory for us 4x4's.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:29 PM
drummerjoe123
Default hey

hey i have a dodge dakota 05 3.7 liter i was wondering if you know where i can buy a cold air intake for my truck? my price range is between 100- 200 dollers. thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2" Above Strut lift install writeup