3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Squeek in steering wheel or column?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:03 AM
djsilver
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeek in steering wheel or column?

Searched first but didn't find anything. I have a 2006 with 48k and it's recently started a squeeking sound from the steering wheel or column when turning. It sounds like plastic and not metal. Anyone else have the same thing/ figure it out, etc?

Thanks!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:50 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this issue at 25,000 miles with my 06. They first said it was the clock spring, replaced it, and it was not the issue, then they replaced the intermediate shaft, and the squeek went away, they said it was defective from the factory. 30 days later my steering wasnt consistant when holding a turn, like on a rounding off ramp for example, the steering wheel would seem to just go loose out of no where and cause me to oversteer a bit, went back to the shop, and needed a new power steering rack.

At that time the truck had never been off road or anything. But long story short my squeek was the intermidiate shaft. Just have someone take a look at the entire steering system, it could be quite a few things. That steering wheel acts like a speaker for the steering system lol.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 02-27-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Mahadigus
Rookie

chrysler has released a tsb on this issue and yes it involves replacing the intermediate shaft. the tsb number is 19-004-07.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:58 PM
djsilver
Professional

Thanks all for the info!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:10 AM
djsilver
Professional
Default Follow up

I did a little investigation yesterday after work. I laid in the floorboard and rocked the steering wheel with one hand while feeling around with the other. I could "feel" the squeek best at the upper end of the intermediate shaft where it's clamped to the steering column and it seemed to be originating from inside the steering column. In the process I could feel some play where the steering column and intermediate shaft are clamped together. I tightened the clamp and most of the squeeking went away!

Quick Reply: Squeek in steering wheel or column?