3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New owner - strut question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:58 PM
codyman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner - strut question

Howdy. New Dakota owner here.

I've recently purchased a '05 Dakota 4wd and like many people here, mine is in need of new struts. I plan on going with the Monroe, and noticed they sell upper strut mounts as well.

Have those of you who've replaced the struts found that the upper mounts need to be replaced also?

Is there any way to tell if this mount needs to be replaced prior to removing the strut?

I will have a shop do the work and I don't want to repeat the labor cost if the mount goes bad, but I also don't want to purchase strut mounts if they aren't needed.

Thanks for your help

Cody

Old 02-27-2009, 01:05 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are probably fine. Just make sure that the threads are not striped or busted where it bolts to the body. Also make sure that the center hole where the shock piston rod mounts is not worn or corroded. You could always just replace them for piece of mind, but probably not necessary.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:28 PM
tankmechus
Rookie
Default codyman

I didn't replace my mounts when I replaced my shocks, and so far, no problems. I have a friend who works at the Sears Service Center, and he told me that they always recommend to their customers to replace the mounts because some vehicles have a bushing inside the mount that can deteriorate over time. I bought an upper strut mount, b/c I thought I had some squeaking coming from there. Turned out to be the upper control arm bushings, and Dodge won't take the mount back. I'm trying to sell it, so if ya do decide to replace the mounts, I can give you one brand new one for cheaper. At least save you some money on replacements. Let me know if ya might be interested.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:44 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your going to spend the money on the labor to get the struts put in from a monroe shop, you might as well spend the few extra bucks and get new top mounts.

I am waiting for the day that Monroe makes the "quick strut" for our truck. When I installed my lift, the plate didn't look to be worn out at all.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 02-27-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 PM
coondog05
Veteran

i recommend ranchos and the supports "should" be fine...havent heard of any problems there! welcome to the forum bro.... ask away!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:32 PM
dakolorado
Professional

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
If your going to spend the money on the labor to get the struts put in from a monroe shop, you might as well spend the few extra bucks and get new top mounts.

I am waiting for the day that Monroe makes the "quick strut" for our truck. When I installed my lift, the plate didn't look to be worn out at all.
What he said. ^^^^

Quick Reply: New owner - strut question