3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:03 PM
canadiandodge
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leveling kit

i found this kit on ebay claiming to give 2.5 inches and allowing us to be able to fit 33 inch tires just wondering if you guys think it is true or not here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2005-2009-Dodge-D...1%7C240%3A1318

Old 03-13-2009, 05:54 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sure they will be able to be installed, but-

I have a 2" daystar leveling kit installed, and the upper control arm just clears the spring when the suspension is at a full droop, like if the truck is on a lift and the wheels are off the ground (or under full articulation).

I am positive that with 2.5", your upper control arm will most likely contact the coil spring. I COULD be wrong, but odds are, I am right.

Also, the upper ball joint with my 2" leveling kit seems to be ok through the entire suspension travel, but anything more then 2", I would probablly be concerned.

A few other guys that just did a 2" install on the front end will most likely agree with me.

I am not sure how reputable the company that makes this specific kit is, because anything over 2" of lift in the front using stock components really compromises the life of the cv joints up front.

I think a member on here found out from a leveling kit company that 2" is the max you can safely run with a 4x4. If your truck is a 4x2 this doesnt apply, but the upper control arm is still only really going to allow a 2" kit if you care about where the upper control arm ends up at full droop.

Go with an over the strut kit that lifts the truck 2", and you will be golden.

Try this kit from Autospring, they are very reputable, alot of guys use them with fords, chevys, dodges, I have a friend who has one of there leveling kits and it was good quality. Just $69.95.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2006-08-Dodge-Ram...1%7C240%3A1318

The only reason I went with daystar's leveling kit for my 06 is because I got it for $50 from a member on this forum.

Stick with 2" max IMO. Do an add-a-leaf or 1-2" block in the rear of the truck to get some more lift if you'd like, some of us, including me have done that as well.

As far as tires go, I am running 265/75 on the stock steel 16x7. I know you can go larger, but there will be some rub. A member on here that has a 2" lift with 32" tires has some rub, and a member on here that has 2" leveling kit and 3" body lift kit has rub with a 33" tire, so I am not sure how true that claim is. I am sure you can run 33" tires if you don't mind the rub, or don't mind doing some trimming.

Good Luck.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 03-13-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:05 PM
Baby_Ram
Rookie

Rough Country makes a 2.5 inch leveling kit and it claims only for the 2wd trucks. It is the leveling kit that mounts on top of the strut.The web site instructions says: "This suspension system was developed using a 33X12.50/17, tire with factory wheels. 05 & Up 2WD Dodge Dakota & Mitsubishi Raider" The rough country kit is the kit i plan on getting cause i only have a 2wd truck.

Last edited by Baby_Ram; 03-13-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 AM
dakolorado
Professional

you cannot run 33's without rubbing unless you are body lifted or major trimming is done. 32's max with 2-2.5 front lift. 2 inch lift is max for everyone to not contact the spring at full droop and ruin ball joints. 2.5 for 2wd only and still will have some minor upper control arm clearance problems.

Read my install writeup under the FAQ for more info on clearances.

Remember these kits fit dodge rams as well due to similar bolt patterns on the strut mounts. so the 33 inch tire would be for them not us. I say they copy and pasted the description from a dodge ad.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:57 PM
beadrunner

I just got through putting on my (self built shoulda bought one) leveling kit. My blocks were 1 1/2" tall. I forgot to measure the truck before I started but If I had to guess it gave me 2 1/4 inches front is just a little higher Ill have to add a add a leaf. If I had to do it again it would be 2" max The extra height makes it a nightmare. It took 2 spring compressors 2 prybars and a hammer to get the strut back into the pocket.

Quick Reply: leveling kit