3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Failed Inspection, Leaking Power Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:10 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so let's rule out the leveling kit then. It doesn't add up because no one else has had leveling kit power steering rack issues. I can't find n e thing. Not on this forum ford or chevy so it must just be a bad rack or poor install. Are the replacements from dodge remanufactured? Mines getting looked at today.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

So I just got a call from the dealer. The rack needs to be replaced and the rear pinion seal is leaking. They have the parts on hand to do both jobs and it will be covered under warranty. Got lucky because they prob coulda told me to go stick it because of the front lift and because of the rear blocks for the pinion leak. It's funny I thought this truckk only had 35k. Miles on it.... I'm just a few days out of warranty also. It's been 3 years on the 14th... I'm thanking my lucky stars

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 03-18-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Truck is done. It needed the rear pinion seal due to the leak and it got a new power steering rack. My service advisor said "I didnt realize you had a lift kit, I had to fight with my service manager to cover the repairs, because he did not want to." So it was covered, but it never will be again, I was also a week outside my warranty, which they also turned there head about. Pretty good dealership I have over here. Aparently the mechanic said that the lift kit shortened the racks life. When I pressed for advice about the kit, he then said theres really no way to proove that the kit actually caused the failure, but he would beleive thats why it only lasted a short life of 6000 miles.

I went under the truck, checked out the rack, its all new, looks good. The angles of the arms don't look alarming to me at all. I still can't say the leveling kit had anything to do with the failure, but it's starting to look pretty grim for me as far as power steering racks go.

At this point I am really exhausted by the whole steering rack bologna. Since my warranty is out, I was wondering if there is any way to beef up the steering for the larger tires and lift? There arent stabalizer kits that I can find online for our truck, but I wonder if one can be put together from a kit from another truck? Anyone know?

Anyone have an opinion about this whole thing?

On another note, the truck's steering wheel is much stiffer and tighter then it was previously. Nothing bad, just feels tighter.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it covered, sounds like the service manager tried to scapegoat your lift. I actually had my TM kit installed at my dealer after some trouble with a cross-threaded strut. I talked tot he service manager about it and he told me he didn't see it causing any issues other than possibly blowing struts faster. I was told not to worry about my warranty on all the front end components but that they would only replace front struts one more time if they blew and then not again. Overall great service and I was happy with that arrangement, did end up getting another set of front shocks under warranty, course it's expired now.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:41 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Altair
Glad you got it covered, sounds like the service manager tried to scapegoat your lift. I actually had my TM kit installed at my dealer after some trouble with a cross-threaded strut. I talked tot he service manager about it and he told me he didn't see it causing any issues other than possibly blowing struts faster. I was told not to worry about my warranty on all the front end components but that they would only replace front struts one more time if they blew and then not again. Overall great service and I was happy with that arrangement, did end up getting another set of front shocks under warranty, course it's expired now.

Yeah, like I said he said they can't really proove that it was the leveling kit, they can just tell me that they won't be covering the repair again because there is a lift kit present.

I am leaving the kit on though, because you can search google to your hearts content, no one really seems to have any issues with leveling kits and rack and pinion steering, whether it be dodge, chevy, ford or the like.

It's all good!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A properly designed and installed leveling kit, that still restricts maximum droop to the stock measurement, does not force the steering geometry to do anything it couldn't do normally. The day-to-day forces might be *slightly* higher, but it's really a non-point.

To be repeatedly blowing seals...could it be the power steering pump is delivering too much pressure? I thought they have internal reliefs to keep pressures even regardless of engine RPM and wheel position. Maybe that's causing problems? Just something to think about.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:03 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cramerica
To be repeatedly blowing seals...could it be the power steering pump is delivering too much pressure? I thought they have internal reliefs to keep pressures even regardless of engine RPM and wheel position. Maybe that's causing problems? Just something to think about.

I don't know the first thing about that. But it seems like somthing that could be possible. I am also wondering why my rear pinion seal was leaking, my driveshaft angles look healthy, in fact everything looks pretty good front and rear.

Doing some searching, it seems that the rear pinion seals leak on all sorts of trucks, whether lifted, lowered, stock height, etc. Some at very low miles. Sounds like it can happen to anyone.

a rack is an expensive thing to keep going though, I wish it was a tail light bulb!

Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 AM
importkiller76
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Monkey here's something to throw a wrench into the theory that your lift is causing the steering rack to leak. Just had my truck at the dealer again because even after changing the speed sensor that was throwing codes to mess up my abs sensors, which in turn lead to no cruise and abs....after the dealer had the truck on the lift they said....my power steering rack is leaking...o goody. They also said that it might be the wheel bearing causing the speed sensor to malfunction. The truck only has 70,000km or about 44,000 miles...and I know what you mean about being tired of your dodge truck already...had mine since new and it's just off warranty now. Hopefully I can stand it long enough to pay it off...

Quick Reply: Failed Inspection, Leaking Power Steering Rack