3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Flipping the Tie Rod end

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flipping the Tie Rod end

Does anyone have any experience with this?

I think it would be in my interest to flip it to the top of the mounting point, to eliminate the angle the 2" leveling kit puts on it.

I assume that the ball joints bolt is tappered?

Here is a picture of the tie rod end. It doesn't seem to be tappered to greatly, has anyone simply tried flipping it and bolting it down, in attempts to try to get the tappered area to seat in as well as possible? I am sure that boring out the hole is an option, but would hate to do that if I didn't have to. If I did have to bore out the mounting hole a bit, it would be ever so slight by the looks of the picture, this seems very easy. I could be wrong though.

I did'nt really take a good look at it when installing my lift kit, but I feel like it was mentioned once before.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 03-30-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Damn Dirty Ape
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my thought, with the taper that is in that threaded stud, it won't go all the way down and you might end up with a significant angle of some sort if it is flipped too?

Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM
spshultz
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you can do it on some Jeeps. You have to drill out the knuckle and put an insert in and tack the lip. http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

Old 03-30-2009, 02:58 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is some tapper to the bolt, that blows that they do that.

If I could flip the tie rod, then the angle would be perfect with a 2" leveling kit. Just figured I would look into it.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:06 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i did just that when i put my leveling kit on. it didn't affect the driving at all but i saw it more as preventative maintenance. i just drilled it out. but you could grab a cone for jeeps and just put it in there and tighten it all down.

but what im doing with my long travel is grabbing a heims and drilling out the spindle to the size of the bolt and doing it that way. better than our crap balljoints

Last edited by projektdirtfab; 03-31-2009 at 11:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Flipping the Tie Rod end