3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Air ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 AM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Air ride

Anyone done this on their truck?
Was thinking about it for when hauling my quad in the box of the truck.
trying to keep the front end from pointing so high with the weight in there. I have also looked at extra leaf springs and have hear the ride is harder and not as nice when empty.

Any info would be great. Thanks

Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

You think you need it? I hauled my Harley the other day and it rode fine, just my opinion

I helped install them on my Dads Ram before. It was basic. Two bags, some mounting hardware, two identical length plastic air hoses and a T-fitting with a schrader valve. Mounted the valve on the bumper near the license plate and the bags were attached directly above the axle and to the frame. When he hauled the camper or toy hauler he would pump them up before leaving so they would take some of the weight off the springs. It worked great, then when he wasnt hauling he would let the air out.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's exactly why I put Air Lift bags on my truck, with the toolbox, the ATV has damn near all the weight behind the rear axle, even a full size truck will go nose up in such a case. Best move I ever made...

Old 03-31-2009, 02:41 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default air bags

Thanks for the input.

hauling my quad (about 700lbs) the front end goes up and drops the rear a good 2"-3", I'm also looking at getting a bigger trailer which would add more weight and I would like the ride to have less bounce.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:59 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

No problem man! ok yeah I would agree with ya on the bounce, she did bounce more than normal, it wasnt to bad, my front stayed ok though. Let us know how ya make out

Old 03-31-2009, 10:15 PM
paul05dak
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes I am really interested in something like this. I tow a lot in the summer and would like to do something to level the truck out and keep it level when towing.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:22 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
You think you need it? I hauled my Harley the other day and it rode fine, just my opinion

I helped install them on my Dads Ram before. It was basic. Two bags, some mounting hardware, two identical length plastic air hoses and a T-fitting with a schrader valve. Mounted the valve on the bumper near the license plate and the bags were attached directly above the axle and to the frame. When he hauled the camper or toy hauler he would pump them up before leaving so they would take some of the weight off the springs. It worked great, then when he wasnt hauling he would let the air out.
that's what i'd want, helper bags. stock ride empty and truck strength under load (up to GVWR)

Quick Reply: Rear Air ride