3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

1st Dodge 2005 Dakota SLT

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 AM
graythang
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your loss guy.
Dam that’s a nice Dak. An attest to a well maintained truck. Enjoy it they have their quirks’ like any make & models but the thing is stout as hell. Have the Ranchos and a few choice mods and have fun. Welcome.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Paul_Aris

Originally Posted by ahicks
Paul_Aris,
Your name seems really familiar. You don't hang out on one of the popular snowmobile boards do you?
michahicks
Yes, thats me.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 AM
ahicks
Rookie

Originally Posted by Paul_Aris
Yes, thats me.
World keeps getting smaller and smaller. Hey, just wanted to mention the Dakota's can grow on you after driving a bigger truck. I've found they suit my needs commuting into the usually bad wintertime weather in Northern MI as well as being easy to park when in the city. The '05 I picked up recently is my fourth - all CC V-8 4x4's. I signed up here looking for some help regarding the different types of front end leveling kits not too long ago. Been hanging out since. My truck only has a little over 20k on it, and I'm not seeing any need to change the struts with the driving I do, not yet anyway. -Al

Old 04-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Paul_Aris

World keeps getting smaller and smaller. Hey, just wanted to mention the Dakota's can grow on you after driving a bigger truck. I've found they suit my needs commuting into the usually bad wintertime weather in Northern MI as well as being easy to park when in the city. The '05 I picked up recently is my fourth - all CC V-8 4x4's. I signed up here looking for some help regarding the different types of front end leveling kits not too long ago. Been hanging out since. My truck only has a little over 20k on it, and I'm not seeing any need to change the struts with the driving I do, not yet anyway. -Al
Yeah, mine seems to handle pretty good. You can see my silverado 4x4 in the background of the one photo. I still have a soft spot for that truck. It just seems me but the milage is getting up there on it. The Dakota just feels a lot newer and easier to drive in tight spaces. I really didn't realize all the little things GM put on their vehicles that dodge doesn't. At least on mine. Like the daytime running lights, auto lights on and off, radio stays playing until you lift up on the door handle, little things like that. Where in northern mi are you. I am on the west side of the lower right next to Grand Haven.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:25 PM
ahicks
Rookie

Originally Posted by Paul_Aris
Yeah, mine seems to handle pretty good. You can see my silverado 4x4 in the background of the one photo. I still have a soft spot for that truck. It just seems me but the milage is getting up there on it. The Dakota just feels a lot newer and easier to drive in tight spaces. I really didn't realize all the little things GM put on their vehicles that dodge doesn't. At least on mine. Like the daytime running lights, auto lights on and off, radio stays playing until you lift up on the door handle, little things like that. Where in northern mi are you. I am on the west side of the lower right next to Grand Haven.
Yup long string of GM pickups in my history. Looked at the new GM and Dodge stuff recently, just prior to getting this one, and when it came right down to it, they just feel too big anymore. Found this '05 for about a third of what I was looking to pay in the new trucks, and that prety much ended my search.

Mine has the auto on/off (just Laramie?), makes me crazy sometimes because I can't control the delay once the ign. is shut off.

I live in Waterford (just west of Pontiac) and have a second home on some property just outside of ******* - used mostly for snowmobiling and screwing around exploring with the quads. Trail access almost immediate. Carting them around when necessary (I bring them home for major repair/mods) the only reason I can justify a pickup. Otherwise I think I'd be doing the SUV thing. Grand Cherokee fan there.

Best of luck with yours, but as I said, carefull, or you may decide you like it enough to get another, and another...... -Al

Old 04-16-2009, 06:27 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has the auto on/off (just Laramie?), makes me crazy sometimes because I can't control the delay once the ign. is shut off.
Are you talking about the lights stay on when you turn the swtch to OFF, after you already turned the truck off, because auto mode takes over?

To fix this, when you turn the truck off, the flip the headlight switch to OFF, and they remain on, just go to ON and then back to OFF once more, and they will turn off.

In other words, just cycle the light switch an extra time. Like, OFF-ON-OFF.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or shut the lights off then shut off the truck

Old 04-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Paul_Aris

Yup long string of GM pickups in my history. Looked at the new GM and Dodge stuff recently, just prior to getting this one, and when it came right down to it, they just feel too big anymore. Found this '05 for about a third of what I was looking to pay in the new trucks, and that prety much ended my search.

I live in Waterford (just west of Pontiac) and have a second home on some property just outside of ******* - used mostly for snowmobiling and screwing around exploring with the quads. Trail access almost immediate. Carting them around when necessary (I bring them home for major repair/mods) the only reason I can justify a pickup. Otherwise I think I'd be doing the SUV thing. Grand Cherokee fan there.

Best of luck with yours, but as I said, carefull, or you may decide you like it enough to get another, and another...... -Al
We have a cabin over near Baldwin. We are heading up today. We have twin boys and it seems we always have a bunch of stuff to take up with us. Food, bedding, luggage, tools, and what ever else. I'm not sure how we would do it with out the Suburban. We pack it full many of the trips. We have the 3rd seat removed just for additional capacity. When you get everything out of the back it looks big enough to hold a dance back there.

Quick Reply: 1st Dodge 2005 Dakota SLT