3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Differential vent location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Growlor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential vent location?

I just noticed Hammerz71's off road guide thread and it reminded me of something I had been wondering about for a while:
Many years ago, I had a brand shiny new '89 Jeep Wrangler (the "S" model where the spare tire and back seat were optional!) I loved that thing so much I used to just crawl under it and admire the cool single minded starkness of it (it was really built with shoddy quality - must have been a Friday afternoon car, but I loved it anyway.)
So anyway... one of those times, I noticed there was a rubber/plastic tube running from the top of the front differential to near the top of the hood. After asking around for what the heck it was I was told it was a vent tube and it ran so long to help keep water/junk out of it during 4 wheeling. I haven't looked REAL close at my Dak, but I haven't seen such a thing on it.
Is there really an air vent on the differential and if so, do the Dak's have a similar "snorkel" to keep the junk out during off road (or even deep puddle) runs?

Thanks,
Growlor

Old 04-12-2009, 02:59 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know where it would be on your 3rd gens, but yes there really is a vent. As the differentials spin, they produce heat, so the expanding air needs somewhere to exit, and when they cool, the contracting air creates a vacuum that needs to suck air in, so they put the "snorkle" on it to stop mud and other stuff from coming in through the vent hole while doing some serious off roading.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-12-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:48 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I know where it is on the rear diff. Look to the left of the pumpkin, it comes out of the axle housing and runs up to a bracket thats welded to the inside of the frame, behind the driver's side rear tire. Its like right above the driver's side rear shock.

Quick Reply: Differential vent location?