3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 dakota stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 07:56 PM
onesikeuro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 dakota stereo install

anyone know if you need a special adapter that allows the trucks computer to function properly if you put an aftermarket stereo?

Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

I've never heard of an aftermarket stereo ****ing up a computer.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:38 PM
onesikeuro

thats what i said. These people are trying to tell me that if i install this deck it will mess up the truck!!!! and of course its 100 bucks!!!

Old 05-03-2009, 09:58 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well....

there sort of right...

The trucks factory stereo needs a special wiring harness to get its switched accessory power, because the factory stereo does not require it (and aftermarket decks do) because it recieves its on/off signal through a CAN BUS setup. So, if you installed a aftermarket deck, it wont power up. The special harness fixes this, but its like $50-$75.

You CAN use a standard wiring harness, and run the switched accessory power wire from the aftermarket deck directly to a switched 12v source, like the cigarette lighter 12v line, and then the deck will function correctly.

Thats what I am about to do, I got the standard wiring harness for a buck on ebay (as opposed to the $50-$75 harness), and instead of running the red wire from the deck through the harness (which would be pointless because of the CAN BUS setup, it doesnt bring switched accessory power, so the wire will just be dead in the harness) I am running it directly from the deck to the switched 12v line going to the cig lighter.

I DONT think this will work with a Premium/Nav system, you will need to get the expensive wiring harness from what I understand. With a standard factory system, the kind with no nav and no amp, you should be able to do this trick. Alot of us already have.

They arent lying to you, they just dont really know what there talking about 100%. If you explain this to them though, a good audio shop will be able to do the install with a standard harness, and save you money.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 05-03-2009 at 10:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lon Don (05-15-2020)

Quick Reply: 2005 dakota stereo install