3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New '08 Dakota Owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:07 AM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTDakota008
looks like the 2" leveling kit is pretty much a must, then I will be throwing on some 265/75 16 Yokohama Geolander AT tires.
255/75/17s here, no rub here, just had to trim a few things.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:01 AM
MTDakota008
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I have one more question for any of you who are mechanically able. Do you know if the 2" coil lift kit and increasing tire size to 265/75 16 will negatively impact driving and braking, reliability or wear out components quicker than with factory parts? I read somewhere about going above 3% total tire diameter that can cause brake failure? And I read also somewhere that a guy with a Taco decided to stick with only a 1.5" lift to avoid damaging his CV or tie rods? Any of this sound right? Thanks, just want to clarify before I start getting this stuff done!

Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Altair
Dak attack!

265/70 16 is one of the optional sizes offered from the factory so I wouldn't worry about 265/75 at all. As for the 2" leveling kit I've had my Trailmaster kit installed inside the strut for over a year now. I have blown the shocks once since then but I also blew a set of front shocks before the kit ever went on so I can't say one way or the other if the kit contributed to that. After some issues with the struts being crossthreaded when I tried to install it myself I had the dealer install the kit for me and warranty the struts at the same time. The service manager looked over the kit and how it went in and told me it might contribute to strut wear but other than that didn't see a problem with it. I was told they'd cover one strut replacement under warranty if I needed it down the road but after that they would void the warranty on the struts due to the kit, other than that it didn't affect my warranty on the front end at all. I can't speak to the kits that install above the strut since I have no experience with them but I'm quite happy with mine.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 PM
MTDakota008
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing some more research (best thing someone can do before making a decision!) I learned that it wouldn't void warranty and one of the local 4x4 shops said that the leveling kits didn't negatively affect front end parts from what they have seen. For the Daystar he quoted me a price of $195 + shipping and about $100 installation. I'm a fairly handy guy, but without seeing the installation instructions I'm not sure what special tools I may need. Plus, I can get the kit online for about $60 less! I wouldn't mind paying them to install if I bought the kit online.

So, once I figure that out, I'll schedule the appointment to have the install done! BTW, the tires I'm going to get are the Yokohama Geolander AT/S. I had them on my other truck and I loved them!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Altair
Dak attack!

Originally Posted by MTDakota008
After doing some more research (best thing someone can do before making a decision!) I learned that it wouldn't void warranty and one of the local 4x4 shops said that the leveling kits didn't negatively affect front end parts from what they have seen. For the Daystar he quoted me a price of $195 + shipping and about $100 installation. I'm a fairly handy guy, but without seeing the installation instructions I'm not sure what special tools I may need. Plus, I can get the kit online for about $60 less! I wouldn't mind paying them to install if I bought the kit online.

So, once I figure that out, I'll schedule the appointment to have the install done! BTW, the tires I'm going to get are the Yokohama Geolander AT/S. I had them on my other truck and I loved them!
Wow $195? Even $130 is a bit pricey, my TM kit cost me $95 from AutoAnything.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:30 AM
baracis
Record Breaker

Yea, buy it online man. $195 is way too high.

Quick Reply: New '08 Dakota Owner