3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Stock Radio Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:16 PM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Radio Question

Hey guys, I haven't pulled my stock radio out or anything, so I figured I'd ask you all. Is there anyway to hook up a sub/amp setup with an aftermarket radio? I have the radio with the MP3 plug-in btw.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

sorry, yea i meant the stock one. A high level converter? Best buy? Pricey? So does this mean no more rear speakers? Or is it just spliced in?

Old 05-05-2009, 09:51 PM
baracis
Record Breaker

Awesome, thanks man. Sweetness. My sister is coming down this weekend and bringing me my 12" and 15" kicker comps. My buddy is trading me a 2000 watt amp for a complete detail on his car and fixing his idle problem (the pulley cable was too tight). I'll take it!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM
ap0091
Professional

Just go to a local car audio shop and ask for a Line Output Converter
this should run you about 20$

I went that way first as i was unsure about a aftermarker deck.. but eventually i decided to get an aftermarker deck and it made the quality ALOT better as you have much more control over the power of the sub.. and i also got an Ipod Wire so i dont have to look at my ipod again.

If you are even considering a aftermarket deck, go that route first instead of throwing 20$ on a LOC

Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 AM
baracis
Record Breaker

I could get a used equalizer for like $10 and have complete control over it. Ballin' on a budget baby.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:41 AM
chet_magnum

Originally Posted by baracis
I could get a used equalizer for like $10 and have complete control over it. Ballin' on a budget baby.

those line out converters are general poor quality and will cause "road" noise feed to your back speakers and amp.

IF you must go that route, any reputable shop will try to pawn of a "noise filter" as well.

another potential issue is that the amp will draw too much power and cause distortion (sound) to your front speakers.

sooooo, that leaves you with a "ghetto" system that will sound like crap.

www.crutchfield.com is a great source for after market parts. no splicing, plug & play for your ride (assuming it's not an 08 / 09).

my advise is to get a quality AFTER MARKET deck first! sell your factory radio on ebay or here to offset the cost.

the deck is the brains of the operation, you will have a better signal to the amp (i prefer 4 volt pre-amp outputs) and a better sound through your speakers and subs.

good luck to you

Old 05-06-2009, 05:03 AM
jagass
Professional

It's easy on an aftermarket...

Quick Reply: Stock Radio Question