3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

No help from dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 AM
07Dak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No help from dealer.

Finally took my Dakota to the dealer to have the suspension inspected for the shuttering and shaking I am getting in the cabin. Of course everything is "normal" and "all" Dakotas ride that way. So what next? Who has seen a big improvement in ride quality by going to Rancho shocks? I want some feedback before I go spend the money. Anyone know what this would cost me? Thanks in advance.

07Dak

Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at TSB 05-002-06. If your tires have been properly balanced, and your brakes are not warped, this is the next move. I've been through this, as have many others. The vibration was not there only when braking, but seemed to get worse the longer I drove. It would be vibration free until I drove on the highway for 5 miles, then it would shudder like crazy. When reading the TSB, pay special attention to the letter "M" in the axle designation. This will make your life easy>>>

http://www.procutinternational.com/p...otaMay2006.pdf

Old 05-13-2009, 11:39 AM
mprohr
All Star

I must say, If you have the TSB issue, you are the first 07 I've heard of with the problem. Definitely make sure you rule out tires and brakes first.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM
mprohr
All Star

Oh yeah, Ranchos are the ****. I love em. But they won't solve the axle problem...however, THE HORRIBLE OEM SHOCKS WILL AMPLIFY ANY VIBRATION ISSUE YOU HAVE.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM
inspec25

I have now owned my 07 dakota for about two months. I have noticed a slight vibration in the brakes when applying. I have also noticed a cab vibration around 60-65 mph. I'm due for oil change and tire rotation this weekend. I'm hoping the vibration is in the tire balancing, but I saw your thread and now I'm wondering....

Can TSB 05-002-06 apply to our 07's?

Thanks.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:58 PM
07Dak

Yea, I guess I should have made that clear. My shutter and vibration come from driving down the road. I do not feel it in the steering wheel, nor does it happen all the time. I do not notice any vibration when applying the brakes so I think I am good there. It seems to occur with cracks and dips in the road surface. The shocks just seem horrible at dampening ANY kind of disuption encountered while driving. I have a 9.25 rear axle so I don't think the TSB applies to this truck. Thanks for all the input.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:05 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I just had a thread on vibration in my '07. I attribute it to tires and possibly lugnuts. I haven't fixed it yet. I know my stock tires didn't have any vibes. My current ones have *alot* of weight on a couple of the rims, which makes me suspicious. I'm eventually going to have the tires unmounted, put on a different rim, and rebalanced.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM
SilverGhost1
All Star

I have the vibration every once and a while, during drive time and braking. It is not even close to severity as my '06 was (which was fixed under the TSB). The '07 is not covered under the TSB however after inquiring. So, I think it is definately a tire/brake issue on the '07s. Like I said, it happens every so often, not enough to worry about.

After I get new tires and brakes...which may be in the next 10K, then it will be determined whether it is the same problem as the 05-06's or not.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:04 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

hmmmm, no problems here knock on wood

Quick Reply: No help from dealer.