3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Air Locker Install on Extreme4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:15 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Locker Install on Extreme4x4

My apologies if this breaks any rules. They are currently showing an air locker install on a Dana44 on Extreme 4x4 (Horsepower TV). I know Eric and a few others were looking to replace a differential, and thought this is a good lesson...even though it is on an International Scout....and you're probably not installing an air locker. Most of it applies to all differentials. Here's the link.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/site3/in.../ep?ep_show=XT

Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, it also made me remember why you want to take it to someone really qualified.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 PM
studlyblueiz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't watch the video but I watch extreme4x4 all the time so I've probably seen it anyways. Gears take a lot of work if you don't get the backlash setup right you'll get early gear wear not to mention they'll be really noisy. For a 2wd truck it wouldn't be that big of a deal to tackle but for the IFS 4x4 guys, IMO it'd be a pain with that front axle and little room to work. If you watch extreme 4x4, most of the axles aren't under a body before they start the work. I've never worked on an IFS 4x4 but if I swapped gears myself I would think you'd need to drop that front axle out and lay it on a bench. If you've tried changing the gear oil you may already understand how tight for space you are.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After watching that I'm definitely going to have my gears installed by someone good when I change them.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:30 PM
baracis
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I watched that on TV. What a pain in the ***. So many little things to it.

Quick Reply: Air Locker Install on Extreme4x4