3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Front end lifting/leveing options

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:04 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy1304
DONT INSTALL ONTOP OF THE STRUT ON A 4X4!!! THIS WILL BIND UP THE 4X4! It needs to be compressed and installed the correct way. Thats why i took it to a shop.
Here's the link to the TM instructions. They install them betweent the coil assembly and upper perch.

GET THE TRAIL MASTER KIT. there known for a well made product BTW it will run you 103.99 plus roughly 10 for shipping. and thats directly from Trailmaster. I rember paying about that for mine. I think 89.99 plus shipping.
700 isnt a good deal. I had mine installed for $140. which included an allignment.
mmm my 4x4 alreadys binds on turns.... I really dislike that about a 4x4. I am taking it to a shop. There is no way I would do this work. This is the closest shop to home so saving some time and fuel is a good thing.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:09 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 2 ways to install the leveling kit. One way will bind the other won't. read the instructions and it will explain. I'm running the TM kit on my 4x4. NO PROBLEMS at ALL. I've gone thrue some nasty terrian. fleaxed to the max no issues. How much did the winch and bull bar cost you? I want one bad!
Flyboy is right, if you install a trailmaster kit as a spring preloader inside the strut, its safer. Its safer because the strut isnt displaced on its mount like most bolt on top leveling kits, and the strut wont extend any longer then it did without the leveling kit. The only thing is the TM kit eats up your usable articulation instead.

If the stock struts sat a "0" and full articulation is +5, and full compression is -5, the trailmaster preloads the strut to sit at +2 or +3. understand? So it uses some of the articulation, but the strut still stops when it reaches +5.

With a daystar like I have, it actually lowers the strut on the frame mount, so now the strut is sitting at +2, but it can still extend its full ammount, the +5.....so now when the wheel is off the ground its sitting at +7, bottoming out the upper control arm and over extending the cv joints.

What a world. I hope that makes sense lol.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:45 AM
flyboy1304
Veteran

Your 4X4 shouldnt be binding if its stock...

Old 06-05-2009, 02:22 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

It may not be binding, but I have a number of 4x4's that when you crank it on a hard turn, it'll almost lock up the front end. And the only way out is to quickley release the wheel or back out of it. I have found that my Dakota does the same thing. I have just learned to take easy turns that won't bind up.

Subaru, Trooper, Toyota, Dodge D250, Dodge Dakota. All have bound up on a hard turn when in 4x4 mode.

Maybe when they are under it to install the leveling kit, they will find something new that needs replacing or straightened.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:12 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

DONT INSTALL ONTOP OF THE STRUT ON A 4X4!!! THIS WILL BIND UP THE 4X4! It needs to be compressed and installed the correct way. Thats why i took it to a shop.
Here's the link to the TM instructions. They install them betweent the coil assembly and upper perch.

GET THE TRAIL MASTER KIT. there known for a well made product BTW it will run you 103.99 plus roughly 10 for shipping. and thats directly from Trailmaster. I rember paying about that for mine. I think 89.99 plus shipping.
700 isnt a good deal. I had mine installed for $140. which included an allignment.
No link in message to instructions. edit Found the link! Had to back out and hit the main page.

I found the kit @ http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...er=DL223/706.0
Is there a better place to order it?

I realize that many of you reading this aren't from the Northwest, but if you are, where would you get this kit installed? A place where you don't feel you've been ripped off? I did find another shop on line, 4WheelParts, http://www.4wheelparts.com Looks like a national chain. They have a few shops in my area. Any experience with them?

Last edited by hwcurtice; 06-07-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:53 PM
coondog05
Veteran

im from ct... your not getting ripped off with a 200.00 dollar charge!its around an hour job on each side! AND theres a bunch of things that can easilly make it much longer! the strut nut can ruin your day for sure!

Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 PM
hwcurtice
Veteran

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
Wow 700 sounds steep to me lol.

Just dont get a "Readylift" leveling kit, or one of those $200 leveling kits.

AutoSpring makes the same kit, with a lifetime warranty for $70.

Okay, what is the issue with Readylift? Other than it costs too much.

Quick Reply: 2006 Front end lifting/leveing options