3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Suspension HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM
importkiller76
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that there is no way this is just shocks. It has to be the leafs or ubolts or something. I have never seen a busted leaf on a newer vehicle but I have seen it a few times on older vehicles...

Old 06-01-2009, 04:11 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Shock absorbers do next to nothing to support any weight. If the truck is acting strangely under load, it's gotta be something with the springs.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:13 PM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

Does anyone by any chance have a copy of the service manual for the 05-07 Dakotas?? I know the pdf link used to be posted up on the forum, but that was before the attacks...

hahaha nvm, found it...

Last edited by curtiplas; 06-01-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: n00b mistake
Old 06-01-2009, 06:38 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look under the truck, (use a flashlight if needed) check the leafs for cracks or broken parts U-bolts and such, it'd only take a sec to look and see if there is any damage you can see from the outside

Old 06-01-2009, 06:44 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I remember seeing a LeMons racer (not LeMans...look it up) built from a clapped out Crown Vic. The shocks were definitely blown, but once they stripped all the seats and junk out, it was riding up like a 3/4 ton.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:54 AM
curtiplas
Record Breaker

Alright well here's an update guys.... I noticed its not hitting the bump stops from sitting on it or driving it, but it does drop a good 3-6 inches when you sit on it (which still seems like more than I remember), I'm not sure why. Also I checked the leaf springs and the u bolts they look fine.... so I took it to the dealer to get it diagnosed and see what they said... They essentially told me that the suspension is fine and its all in my head... But they told me the noise I heard when going over the bumps was from the rear sway bay links that were starting to go bad... I replaced them yesterday... the truck seems somewhat quieter, but I'm still bothered by the suspension issue.... I mean I can see there's nothing "wrong" with the truck... but none the less it still drops a little more than it used to...

Quick Reply: Suspension HELP PLEASE!