3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front brake problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 01:37 PM
tcv
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake problems

Over the last year and a half my front brakes have over heated after driving more than 20 miles. Initially it happened on the driver side while going up to Georgia to pick up a new Triumph motorcycle. I pulled over and allowed the brakes and tire rim to cool off, and haven't had another problem with that side until a couple of weeks ago when it happened again. The passenger side however starting doing the same thing about a year after the first occurrence on the driver side. So far it has happened about a half dozen times on the passenger side.

It appears that the caliper pistons are not completely releasing, which eventually over heats the rotors pads caliper and rim of the tire. After allowing it to cool off the piston releases and the brakes work normal for a while.

When I get home from this business trip I will be replacing the calipers (with bracket), rotors (I got high performance slotted and drilled rotors), and brake pads.

The truck currently is 4.5 years old with less than 25,000 miles on it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this same problem.

Tom

Old 06-14-2009, 11:01 AM
graythang
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only 25k at 4.5 years. I'm at just 3 years and just turned 40k. No brake problems at all. This is so far the most brake problem free vehicle ever. Every vehicle except my old 77 Celica the rotors warped. Plenty of meat left on the factory pads and the factory rotors look pretty good. I think Dodge go the rotor thickness right this time.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 AM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They replaced all my pads, drums and rotors with the rear axle tsb at 36000 (the fronts were an ooops freebie). Now its got 50k and they just squeel like pigs. Got to get some sticky pads in there, but no time. When I do get to do another brake job, I'm going with braided, stainless lines too. I bet they'd be a huge improvement in these trucks with pedal feel.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

with your truck sitting for such a long period of time. you may want to start using the e brake. this will help out some

Quick Reply: Front brake problems