3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Upgrades - '08 Dakota SLT

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MTDakota008
Here's a pic of my new tires. Just a back shot, didn't get any full body pics yet. They ride great so far, and seem to have much better traction than the Wranglers.
Those look good. You could probably make a tire out of Jello and get better traction than the stock wranglers.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:37 AM
MTDakota008
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear that. Well I got my Billet grille, tonneau cover and K&N CAI put on yesterday. Didn't get home til later so I didn't have time to take any pics, but wow. I had no idea that sounds I was in store for with the K&N. It's a very mean growl that comes from the engine at about 3,500+ RPM. It actually drowns out the sound of the exhaust for a short range of RPMs.

I'm still thinking of what to do to the body to make it a one-of-a-kind Dak.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear that. Well I got my Billet grille, tonneau cover and K&N CAI put on yesterday. Didn't get home til later so I didn't have time to take any pics, but wow. I had no idea that sounds I was in store for with the K&N. It's a very mean growl that comes from the engine at about 3,500+ RPM. It actually drowns out the sound of the exhaust for a short range of RPMs.

I'm still thinking of what to do to the body to make it a one-of-a-kind Dak.
Told ya told ya told ya!! I love my KN!

Old 06-19-2009, 10:58 PM
MTDakota008
Rookie

Here's a couple quick pics. I didn't take them near a river, next to a bridge, or any nice background settings... just the plain ol' garage! I'm going to attempt to "detail" the truck tomorrow and I will get some of my first frameworthy pics hopefully.

Agricover Access tonneau cover
tonneau.jpg

T-Rex Billet Grille
billetGrille.jpg

K&N Series 63 Cold Air Intake
KN.jpg

Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 PM
MTDakota008
Rookie

Also to inform anyone, the K&N filter kit I received was made for up to the model year of 2007. Because of some minor engine component placing changes, the main tube bracket does not bolt right in, and the air temperature sensor is being stretched to fit into the hole/grommet provided. I realized that I can easily splice the wire to extend, but just a warning to anyone with a newer than 2007 model year, you will run into a few small issues. I emailed K&N to see if there are fixes, or what may come of this.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:25 AM
sleds
Veteran

The grill looks great!! I have the same CAI and love it. If you open up your exhaust, you loose that sound from under your hood when it starts to breath a bit better, but then your exhaust is usually louder.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:31 AM
sleds
Veteran

Oh, note to others. Do NOT set a freshly oiled filter beside your gas stove and then start up the stove to make eggs on a Saturday morning!! You might have a flurry of activity in the kitchen. Not my brightest moment. LOL.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:22 AM
MTDakota008
Rookie

Originally Posted by sleds
The grill looks great!! I have the same CAI and love it. If you open up your exhaust, you loose that sound from under your hood when it starts to breath a bit better, but then your exhaust is usually louder.
With the custom cat back (with exception of a resonator left for sound which the muffler shop said it still had great flow) I thought I would have very good breathing capabilities with the exhaust. I don't mind the sound, it's powerful and mean!

Old 06-20-2009, 10:53 AM
sleds
Veteran

With the custom cat back (with exception of a resonator left for sound which the muffler shop said it still had great flow) I thought I would have very good breathing capabilities with the exhaust. I don't mind the sound, it's powerful and mean!
What size exhaust did you go with? And what kind of muffler? Anything is an improvement in the sound department than the stock exhaust, eh?

Quick Reply: New Upgrades - '08 Dakota SLT