3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Some sort of leak or condensation...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some sort of leak or condensation...

Hey whats up.

Its been pouring here all day, on my way back from work, i noticed water is dripping from under my glove box somewhere. Would of never known, but it trickled down my plastic husky floor liner.

I had the AC running alot on the way home because it was VERY muggy. Not sure if its some sort of leak, or somthing to do with the AC and humidity, anyone ever have this problem?

Old 06-19-2009, 02:30 AM
sleds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your a/c would be removing a ton of moisture from the air when your humidity is high. Did you notice a puddle of water under your truck when you parked? If not, I wonder if your a/c drain line is kinked or plugged? Just a thought.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:42 AM
RealityCheck
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact same problem. I've had the truck for two years, but never noticed it before because the truck is almost always garaged. It was outside during a massive downpour a few weeks ago and I noticed the floor mat (not the carpet) on the passenger side was wet. I removed the glove box door so I could see where the water was coming from, then ran water on the windshield until I found the leak. Part of the HVAC system protrudes into a cavity beneath the windwindshield where incoming air is directed. The gasket that seals this part to the body was apparently misaligned. Also, there is a large plastic cover over the wiper mechanism at the base of the windshield. This cover has slots in it to let air in. Where this cover meets the windshield there is a foam gasket which is supposed to prevent water from running straight down the windshield into the air intake cavity. This gasket was also misaligned. I removed it and replaced it with some foam weather stripping from Lowe's. I also put some silicone sealer around the HVAC component I mentioned above. I put everything back together, let the silicone cure for a day or so, then did the hose test again. Problem solved - the leak was totally gone. The truck has been outside since then through several heavy rains and the leak has not returned. Basically, this can be fixed with less than $10 worth of stuff (self-sticking foam weather seal and a tube of silicone) and a little work. The most time consuming part was removing the wiper arms and plastic wiper mechanism cover. The entire operation is less than 1 hour.

Quick Reply: Some sort of leak or condensation...