3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Type of Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 PM
sleds
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is a common misconseption that running premium fuel will give you better performance than regular. I have read in a few places that the lower the octane fuel the hotter it burns and actually gives you better performance that higher octane fuel. Of course this is in a stock engine with stock compression ratio. If you run higher compression or boost, or advanced timing, then you will have to run premium because of detonation (or preignition). That is also that pinging noise you hear, I had an old Aspen that Pinged terrible. Also, I have never noticed any ill effects running the 10% mixture (we have that at Mohawk/Husky in B.C.) so go for it.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:33 AM
cp285
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These engines have enough compression to take advantage of higher octane fuel but the stock computer programming assumes 87 octane regular so unless you have a different program the computer won't take advantage. All gasoline has the same energy content regardless of octane rating. The difference is the SPEED at with it burns. Lower octane fuel burns faster and is more easily ignited. This is why with low octane gas you have to run less timing advance. Too much advance and the combustion chamber gets hot enough to ignite the low octane fuel before the spark plug does and you get pre-ignition or ping. Higher compression does the same thing. Many modern engines run higher compression to get better mileage while under light load. The wide open throttle parameters use less ignition advance because the designers know they are dealing with low octane fuel.
This is one of the main reasons why a good aftermarket tune meant for 92 of higher octane can give noticeable performance gains.
This is an over simplified explanation but that is basically how it works.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:28 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Growlor
I've used e85 exclusively (except when in areas that I could not get it.) It is true that you get lousy mileage (seems like about 30% less), but (at least around here) the fuel is cheaper, so it usually doesn't cost much more to run it. I think your 08 v8 should be a flexfuel model (check for the flexfuel badge on the back of the tailgate and the yellow gas cap.) I was also told to not go from one fuel to the other with less than a 1/4 tank if possible.
As far as performance, it runs fine. The only time I had trouble was when it was -20 (farenheight) outside and it didn't want to start (of course my wife's PT cruiser running regular gas didn't want to start either!)
A couple states dont offer offer the flex fuel engine, I know NY and CA don't.

Quick Reply: Type of Gasoline