3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rear Locker

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 PM
scottscan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do they make lunchbox lockers for the 9.25 rear end ? if so were is the best place to get it from ?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These two are the best "lunchbox" lockers you can buy...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-1220-LR/

or

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWT-92-0392-3125/

I don't know if you can find them cheaper elsewhere, but they are what you should search for.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
I beg to differ. I bought and installed a factory Trac-Lok LSD into my 9.25" rear end for half what the cheapest locker cost, and have never once had only one wheel spin on pavement, in the dirt, mud, gravel, snow, etc. Look at my signature picture... I've also flexxed out my truck where there was almost no weight (less than 50 lbs) over one of the two back wheels, and even then the LSD did not go into a "one leg" mode. You just need to know how a limited slip differential works to know how not to get stuck with one... the more torque you transfer through the differential, the harder the clutches engage, so if you think you are going to get stuck, don't try to baby the truck out, get on the gas hard. When there is no torque transfer through the differential, its very easy to break the clutches loose and differentiate the two rear wheels.

It's true though... lockers will not eat up your tires like a spool, but I have heard from a lot of people who run them that they cause an understeer sensation that a LSD won't.

Don't get me wrong though... I'm not praising limited slip diffs and beating down lockers, cause I would rather have a powertraxx locker, but they aren't crap like a lot of people seem to think, and for a daily driver, they are easier to cope with.
Maybe when they're really fresh they're decent.. I've had a limited slip and have several friends with limited slips, including one with a Torsen gear driven limited slip, they are all as worthless as an open diff in any flexing situation, flat ground they're fine.\

Couple videos of mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lydlwgiW6Y
Jepp has a LS rear too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq4ENOJDUO8

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 07-15-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Those PowerTrax aren't exactly "limited slip" the way an Auburn with clutches or a Eaton with gears is. The mechanism that engages / disengages the locking feature is quite different. I thought about getting one of those after a frustrating 2WD winter.

I remember asking about the PowerTrax, and it seemed for every couple success stories there was one awful horror story. Of course one of the most vocal opponents was a guy with a Hemi Ram, which I think is just too much load and power for that design. A V6 Dakota might be just fine.

They can have driveability quirks from what I hear.

The best solution I arrived at (except for cost) would be a selectable locker. Full open or full lock at the touch of a button.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you might be a little bias towards LSD's in general. However, depending on which configuration and brand you select is critical based on driver demand. The factory LSD is not a bad peice. I can tell you that Peterson's 4x4 magazine tested the new Ram with the factory "anti-slip" diff in the TRX4 trim. Their review said nothing but great things about the LSD.

And yes, depeding on which type of locker you get, you may get better ride quality and tire wear compared to others. However, just like you said, if you go to WOT around a corner, the barking will commence.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cramerica
Those PowerTrax aren't exactly "limited slip" the way an Auburn with clutches or a Eaton with gears is. The mechanism that engages / disengages the locking feature is quite different. I thought about getting one of those after a frustrating 2WD winter.

I remember asking about the PowerTrax, and it seemed for every couple success stories there was one awful horror story. Of course one of the most vocal opponents was a guy with a Hemi Ram, which I think is just too much load and power for that design. A V6 Dakota might be just fine.

They can have driveability quirks from what I hear.

The best solution I arrived at (except for cost) would be a selectable locker. Full open or full lock at the touch of a button.
That's because a Powetrax unit is a locker, not a LSD.

My personal preference is an automatic locker because I hate open diffs all the time. Have you ever tried pulling out into traffic in rain in a light pickup with a V8 and an open diff? It takes half a mile to accelerate without spinning. It's not pactical to toggle between locked and open with a selectable diff on the street.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a powertrax no slip. It is defiantly worth it for me. Like said above at dead stops and taking a turn you have to go slow or else you will make your tires slip. But if you just take your time you wont make it slip. Ya I will never go back to an open diff. And LSD are junk! A selectable locker would be perfect if you don't have the Patience for the corners with the automatic lockers. But like I said for me I love mine. Anytime I need that traction of a full locker 50/50 it is there. So selecting no waiting no slipping from a Open or LSD..
Hahns5.2 I love those LSD videos. It is true! Might as well have been Open diffs!

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 07-15-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:42 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

So there's a PowerTrax behind a 5.9 torque monster on 33's. I it would live a long life behind a little 3.7.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:53 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
I have a powertrax no slip. It is defiantly worth it for me. Like said above at dead stops and taking a turn you have to go slow or else you will make your tires slip. But if you just take your time you wont make it slip. Ya I will never go back to an open diff. And LSD are junk! A selectable locker would be perfect if you don't have the Patience for the corners with the automatic lockers. But like I said for me I love mine. Anytime I need that traction of a full locker 50/50 it is there. So selecting no waiting no slipping from a Open or LSD..
Hahns5.2 I love those LSD videos. It is true! Might as well have been Open diffs!
Have you ever broken a locker with that 5.9L Crazy? Right now I'm happy with my LSD, probably cause its only 6 months old and the clutches are still new, and it was cheap, but when I get that 408 built, I'm thinking of going to a powertrax, but that 408 is probably going to pushing out 150-200 ft*lbs more than your 5.9.

And for what its worth, if I'm too hard on the gas making a sharp turn with my LSD, the inner tire slips just like it would with a locker.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 07-15-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Have you ever broken a locker with that 5.9L Crazy? Right now I'm happy with my LSD, probably cause its only 6 months old and the clutches are still new, and it was cheap, but when I get that 408 built, I'm thinking of going to a powertrax, but that 408 is probably going to pushing out 150-200 ft*lbs more than your 5.9.

And for what its worth, if I'm too hard on the gas making a sharp turn with my LSD, the inner tire slips just like it would with a locker.
No I haven't broken a locker. I did switch from the lockright to the No-Slip. I called powertrax acted like it died on me so I can upgrade. Sorry to dis on LSD. If yours is holding tight, that is sweet! Ya the powertrax can handle the power. But I say don't horse beat it! I don't know how strong the Detroit lockers are. I'm guessing around the same.

Quick Reply: Rear Locker